Triathlon - Nat finishes in second
Sisters Natalie and Faye Barnard competed in the British Triathlon Championships in Llanelli on Sunday. Natalie was the runner-up in her age group and debutant Faye finished 11th after several trials and tribulations. The races were scheduled to start ear
Sisters Natalie and Faye Barnard competed in the British Triathlon Championships in Llanelli on Sunday.
Natalie was the runner-up in her age group and debutant Faye finished 11th after several trials and tribulations.
The races were scheduled to start early in the morning and the athletes were greeted with atrocious weather conditions.
Natalie's race plan was to keep on the shoulder of her best opponent through the swim, and on to the bike sections, knowing that her run would overwhelm the opposition.
All was going well as she left the icy waters of Llanelli dock, perfectly poised to leave the transition area into the bike section with the race leader.
Then disaster struck for the second time already this season.
- 1 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 2 Funeral of retired Stevenage school teacher hailed 'a legend'
- 3 Parents rally as play café forced to close amid major cost increases
- 4 Two-storey factory catches fire in Letchworth
- 5 Magpas Air Ambulance lands in Letchworth amid 'medical emergency'
- 6 Assault victim left with punctured lung after Hitchin 'scuffle'
- 7 Old Town Live organisers 'overwhelmed by response'
- 8 Hitchin widower's wing walk in wife's memory
- 9 Stevenage fundraising day in memory of much-loved Peter
- 10 Dog owner's grass seed warning after pet paralysed
A fault on her back wheel alignment cost her a full minute making emergency repairs, losing essential contact with the race leader.
She battled back but the conditions prevented her from making further impact and she finished a disappointed second.
Younger sister Faye, in her first British championship race and her first proper triathlon, recorded a creditable first performance in the sport.
A national standard swimmer, she positioned herself with the lead pack in the swim but inexperience showed in the first transition on to the bike.
She slipped to sixth place as other more experienced triathletes passed her as she struggled to get her wetsuit off and on to her bike.
Faye cycled on strongly, only to crash into a faller on a tight turn, and lose further ground.
Battered and bruised, she showed character and remounted to finish a creditable 11th place against top-class opposition.