Biggleswade AC has made its debut appearance in the Greensand Ridge Relay, an off-road orienteering style handicap race. Run by South Midlands Orienteering Club since 1987, the route follows the Greensand Ridge Way from Leighton Buzzard as far as Northill
Biggleswade AC has made its debut appearance in the Greensand Ridge Relay, an off-road orienteering style handicap race.
Run by South Midlands Orienteering Club since 1987, the route follows the Greensand Ridge Way from Leighton Buzzard as far as Northill, and includes sections passing along the Grand Union Canal, through Woburn Abbey's Deer Park and the Warden Woods.
Biggleswade were in a record field of 19 and one of five teams competing for the mixed team trophy in the hot conditions.
Leading the team out was Simon Fawcett who completed his leg in under his handicap time, despite being unfamiliar with the course.
The baton was taken up by club chairman Nigel Bush who shaved more than 10 per cent off his handicap time.
Damien Pitts followed, running the longest and probably most exposed leg of the course in the midday sunshine, making good time to hand over to Natalie Darlow.
- 1 Driver arrested as Audi crashes into parked vehicles in Hitchin
- 2 Car crashes with pedestrian on A602 Stevenage Road
- 3 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 4 Five teenagers arrested following 'violent disorder' in Stevenage
- 5 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 6 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 7 Mental health crisis café to open in Stevenage
- 8 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 9 Award-winning Hitchin nursery celebrates bumper year for staff
- 10 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
Natalie looked strong and confident throughout her leg and arrived at Maulden Woods ahead of schedule.
Rebecca Tippett ran well in now oppressive heat and Debs Bryant brought the team back home to Northill where club members and the support crew were waiting to welcome her back.
Overall, the team had the seventh fastest time, came 12th in the handicap competition and were runners-up in the mixed team competition.