Town take crown
Stevenage Town won the Jubilee League for the second consecutive year. They won by 14 shots (44-30) against Datchworth. Scores: Stevenage Town (B Gifford, E Cooper, K McGahan, N Butler) won 18-16 against Datchworth (A Lewis, J Barsdell, B Gilbert, J Adams
Stevenage Town won the Jubilee League for the second consecutive year.
They won by 14 shots (44-30) against Datchworth.
Scores: Stevenage Town (B Gifford, E Cooper, K McGahan, N Butler) won 18-16 against Datchworth (A Lewis, J Barsdell, B Gilbert, J Adams); Stevenage Town (S Willis, B Thomas, W Williamson, R Hughs) won 26-14 against Datchworth (J Whittle, B Thorn, T Power, S Chamberlain).
P Hitchin travelled to Welwyn and District Bowls Club, which hosted the county finals a week earlier, on Saturday.
On a sun-soaked afternoon and a top quality green, Hitchin managed to win on just one rink but by enough to win the match by five shots (80-75).
The winning rink for Hitchin was John Porter, Noel Webb, Ivan Page and Les Lane.
- 1 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 2 Stevenage woman arrested following 'dangerous driving and assault'
- 3 Driver hospitalised with ‘serious injuries’ following crash in Hitchin
- 4 Former pub owner admits to food hygiene offences
- 5 Parents' anger as possible school redundancies loom amid academy transition
- 6 Plans to demolish two houses and build 20 flats in their place
- 7 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 8 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 9 Vauxhall flips onto roof in crash with Mercedes in Letchworth
- 10 VOTE: Which is your favourite chip shop in all of Hertfordshire?
Rink two: J Porter, N Webb, I Page, L Lane won 31-12. Rink three: B Marchant, D Conder, G Billingham, A Hill lost 13-23. Rink four: J Bearman. N Parke, W Harrison, J Dyer lost 17-20. Rink five: S Hearne, G Leuty, K Porter, S Dawson lost 19-20.
Hitchin finished their league campaign with a 30-shot defeat at Royston (63-33) last Thursday.
Rink one: J Porter, D Owens, L Lane, I Thorne lost 12-42. Rink two: G Williams, K Porter, G Munge, S Dawson drew 21-21.
Hitchin's midweek bowlers took a full team to Letchworth Garden City last Wednesday, only to be resoundly beaten by 33 shots (77-44) and to lose on all four rinks.
Rink two: Ruby Males, Gerry Billingham, Diane Porter lost 25-6. Rink three: Roy Cole, Joan Dyer, Gerry Leuty lost 19-12. Rink four: Stan Hearne, Des Owens, Mike Wadsworth won 20-14. Rink five: Ken Porter, Derek Conder, John Bearman lost 13-12.
The return match with Three Horseshoes, due to be played at Bancroft Park on Friday, was cancelled due to the Stevenage club's shortage of players.
On Sunday, Hitchin took a team to Langford. They lost by four shots overall, having won by two shots on two rinks and lost by eight shots on the third rink.
Once again this was a reduced number of rinks played (three instead of four) because of a shortage of players for both teams.
Rink one: John Porter, Shay Mumford, Gill Walker won 17-15. Rink two: Joan Squires, Noel Webb, Ken Porter lost 18-10. Rink three: Glyn Williams, Gerry Billingham, Diane Porter won 13-11.