Tournament closes on a high
The North Herts Table Tennis League s closed tournament produced some top action. In the women s singles, after the qualifying groups, Sandra Harper (last year s winner) beat junior Natasha Walsh in the first semi. Janice Laing beat Abigale Moore from Roy
The North Herts Table Tennis League's closed tournament produced some top action.
In the women's singles, after the qualifying groups, Sandra Harper (last year's winner) beat junior Natasha Walsh in the first semi.
Janice Laing beat Abigale Moore from Royston to meet her sister Sandra in the final.
Sandra managed to retain the title by beating Janice -10,9,2,9.
The men's singles started with eight groups of four players vying to reach the main event.
Glen Verdon (cadet) did well to qualify in his group but went out to Rob Adamson who then lost to second seed Steve Dobbins in the semi- finals.
- 1 Stevenage Major Works: Leaseholders sent final bills
- 2 North Herts deputy council leader Paul Clark passes away from COVID-19
- 3 175-year-old primary school saved after months of uncertainty
- 4 Trust calls out council for causing 'uncertainty and chaos' by disrupting two-tier conversion
- 5 Prince Philip death joke tweets sparks probe as councillor leaves party
- 6 Downing Street: Our MPs' responses to alleged illegal Christmas party
- 7 Man charged with multiple burglaries after police chase
- 8 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with dazzling launch event
- 9 Turkeys for sale on Facebook ruffles feathers
- 10 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
Jimmy Walsh had a few tussles but made his way confidently to the final by beating Steve Sullivan and Arto Viravorian on the way.
The final was a classic with Dobbins taking Bedwell A team-mate Walsh to the full five games but not able to contain the onslaught. Jimmy retained his title 3,10,-8,-9,3.
With only three entries in the veteran women's event, the trio of Sandra Harper, Janice Laing and Christine Deeks played one another.
Sandra won the title and sister Janice came second - the same result as the women's final.
The men's veterans started with six groups of four players.
Alf Mills had a good win against Arto but nothing could stop Keith Iverson as he beat Alf and Ola who had an unexpected win against Mark Janes to reach the semis.
Rob Adamson had a rough ride beating Jim Felstead and Steve Sullivan on his way to the final.
Keith pinned Rob down on his back hand and took the first game 11-7 but Rob fought back to win the second 12-10. Keith ploughed on to win the next two games 11-5, 11-6 to win the title.