Top Field pair leave
Goalkeeper Richard Wilmot and midfielder Aaran Cavill have both left Hitchin Town this week. The 36-year-old Wilmot has left Top Field for Ryman League Hendon. The veteran keeper said he was seeking a fresh challenge. Cavill has signed for his former club
Goalkeeper Richard Wilmot and midfielder Aaran Cavill have both left Hitchin Town this week.
The 36-year-old Wilmot has left Top Field for Ryman League Hendon.
The veteran keeper said he was seeking a fresh challenge.
Cavill has signed for his former club Bedford Town after two years with the Canaries.
Hitchin boss Darren Salton said: "Both players have made a good contribution to this club and I would like to thank them for what they've done."
Wilmot has had five spells with Hitchin dating back to the 1986-87 season. He was the club's player of the year in 2003-4 and 2004-5.
- 1 Teenagers demand drugs and punch paramedic during attempted robbery
- 2 Football coach jailed again for indecent assault of boys
- 3 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 4 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 5 Joy for residents as appeal for four-storey apartment block dismissed
- 6 'Keep us safe' - schoolchildren's plea for crossing at Norton demonstration
- 7 Council to build new car park to improve entrance into town
- 8 ATM stolen during ram raid at Baldock store
- 9 Stevenage siblings launch funeral fundraiser following Covid death of mum at 47
- 10 Still more to come too says Brett Donnelly as Stotfold's title challenge is given a boost
There was some good news this week for Salton when Neil Pugh and Mark Ducket both signed on for the 2006-7 season.
* Hitchin fans who invest in a season ticket for the 2006-7 season will also be able to watch all pre-season friendly games at Top Field.
Season tickets at Hitchin remain unchanged at £135 (£70) for next season.
And, for the first time, the club are allowing fans to gain free admission to the pre-season friendlies.
This offer does not apply to the Herts Charity Cup tie with Ware.
* Glen Clark is the new man at the helm of Stotfold.
The former Arlesey Athletic boss has been given a two-year deal by the Rokermen.
He replaces Jim Benton who has left the club and taken the majority of last season's squad with him.
Clark said: "I'm looking to bring in local players.
"It's a step up for me as a manager and will be for some of my players as well."
New players are welcome to attend pre-season training which starts on Tuesday (June 27) at Roker Park from 7.30pm.
Call Glen on 07776 062616 for further details.
The club are due to be playing at Roker Park for the last time this season before moving to their new ground in the town.
As well as their annual meeting with local rivals Arlesey, pre-season friendlies arranged so far see Stotfold host Hillingdon Borough on July 29 before visiting Eynesbury (August 3), London Colney (August 5) and then Royston (August 8).
* Arlesey Town have named a few more pre-season friendlies.
Tues, July 18: Dagenham and Redbridge (home)
Thurs, July 20: Mildenhall (home)
Sat, July 22: Deeping Rangers (away)
Tues, July 25: Hitchin Town (away)
Thurs, July 27: Kettering Town (home)
Sat, July 29: Brackley Town (away)
Tues, Aug 1: Stotfold (away) - Jan Anderson Memorial Trophy
Thurs, Aug 3: Wootton Blue Cross (home)
Sat, Aug 5: Cambridge City (home)
Thurs, Aug 10: Biggleswade United (away)
Sat, Aug 12: Leighton Town (home).