Three off as Stotfold draw
STOTFOLD clinched a point away to Sleaford, but the game was marred by three sending offs. A bitter finish to the game led to straight red cards for Sleaford s Tommy Hull and Nick Bishop after a bout of pushing and shoving, and Stotfold s Andrew Iwediunos
STOTFOLD clinched a point away to Sleaford, but the game was marred by three sending offs.
A bitter finish to the game led to straight red cards for Sleaford's Tommy Hull and Nick Bishop after a bout of pushing and shoving, and Stotfold's Andrew Iwediunos following his reaction to a Glen Maddison challenge.
Before the dismissals the game had been an entertaining one with both sides going close.
Ryan Aldrin had two good chances in the first five minutes to put Stotfold ahead but both of his one-on-one chances were saved.
Clive Wetherall in the Stotfold goal was also called into action a couple of times early on when he got down well to stop Michael Stones' effort from the right and saved Matt Lunn's free kick from the middle.
The teams went in 0-0 at the break, despite more chances later in the half.
- 1 Police ‘concerned’ as 25-year-old goes missing from Stevenage
- 2 Get ready to geek out as a new gaming café comes to Stevenage
- 3 Neighbours set to host Jubilee street party in aid of hospice - and you can too!
- 4 Protesters 'selfish' as grandad struggles to attend life-saving care
- 5 Spaceship 'landing' at school grabs Prime Minister's attention
- 6 Pedestrian seriously injured after crash near Lister Hospital in Stevenage
- 7 Year-long car park closure as construction for new multi-storey set to begin
- 8 New avenue of trees planted in Hitchin's Bancroft
- 9 Application submitted for multi-purpose events space on former bus station
- 10 New train times arriving in Stevenage and Welwyn Garden City next week
Stotfold's better second half possession paid off in the 68th minute when Nathan Moulton jumped to beat Andrew Scott to a Callum Donnelly cross and head over the line.
But reminiscent of last season's fixture, after Stotfold had taken the lead their opponents equalised.
With what appeared to be little more than a slip inside the box from Sleaford's Peter Sutton, the referee pointed to the spot and Matt Lunn converted on 76 minutes.
Stotfold had a couple of their own penalty shouts turned down and the game ended with three sending offs but no other goals.
Stotfold: Wetherall, Rennie, Donnelly, Bryant, A Iwediuno, C Donnelly (D Iwediuno), Mitchell, Hull, B Donnelly, Moulton, Aldrin (Michael Davis). Sub: Cottenden