The North and Mid Herts Football League round-up
White Hart have completed the divisional league and cup double. They won an eight-goal thriller in the Division One North Cup with an enthralling final success over Magnum last Thursday at Top Field. The league champions battled back from a two-goal defic
White Hart have completed the divisional league and cup double.
They won an eight-goal thriller in the Division One North Cup with an enthralling final success over Magnum last Thursday at Top Field.
The league champions battled back from a two-goal deficit for a hard-earned 5-3 victory against 10-man Magnum.
Goals from Gary Wallace (a penalty after Robbie Ciepiela was fouled) and Trevor Long in the opening quarter of the game gave Magnum the advantage.
Three times in the opening half hour, White Hart were indebted to keeper Ryan King for superb stops to deny Chris Powell, Ross Pateman and Long.
White Hart staged a spirited comeback and got on the scoresheet in the 31st minute when Richard McGregor's corner was headed in by Ross Braine.
- 1 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with dazzling launch event
- 2 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 3 Serious collision on A602 injures four
- 4 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 5 Man charged with multiple burglaries after police chase
- 6 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 7 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 8 175-year-old primary school saved after months of uncertainty
- 9 Christmas Fayre and switch-on attracts hundreds
- 10 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
They drew level just before half time when Liam Errington's strike was handled on the line by Carl Roberts who saw red, veteran striker Simon Braine making no mistake from the penalty spot.
Ten-man Magnum gave it their best shot in the second half as Ciepiela and Pateman were both denied by the keeper, while Long's shot went inches wide.
The introduction of subs Sam Gittings and Ollie Rowerth saw White Hart step up a gear and get into the game.
On 77 minutes, the breakthrough came when Errington's low drilled shot went in off the far post.
Four minutes later, Errington thought he had scored again, but a goal-line clearance by Darren Lumbis found Rowerth on the edge of the six-yard box to slot the ball in the bottom corner.
Magnum pulled one back when Pateman went on a run and found Long on the right who shot past King in the 89th minute.
The comeback was shortlived and in injury time, a mix-up in the Magnum defence allowed the ball to run through to Gittings who tucked the ball past keeper Tim Boston.
The Orchard sealed runners-up spot in Division One North by hammering bottom side Westwell 11-1.
Daniel Smith got all four first-half goals and quickly added a fifth himself after the break.
Cameron Fell and a Westwell player were both sent off before Smith bagged his double hat-trick.
Patrick Alicite (two), Paul Berry, Leonshley Yan and Deesch Achal scored the remainder of their goals, while Marc Campbell put through his own goal to give Westwell a consolation.
St Ippolyts Res won by the odd goal in seven at Fairlands.
Fairlands went ahead through Jake Pratt's free-kick before Callum Perrie levelled.
Minutes later, Fairlands lost Rob Lynch with a serious ankle injury and with no subs, they were forced to play with 10 men.
Saints scored twice more in the half through Billy Travi and Calvin Crook's 25-yard effort. Pratt then netted at the second attempt to make it 3-2 at the break.
Mark Lloyd restored the two-goal advantage after 75 minutes. A stunning strike from Pratt completed his hat-trick and ensured a lively finish.
* The North and Mid Herts League are looking for new teams on Saturday afternoons as well as potential sponsors.
If you are interested, call John Burlison on 01438 234139 or Colin Newcombe on 01438 821167.
* The league are also looking for new referees (call James Sinnott on 01727 860324) or if you are interested in a refs course, call Brooke Haggerty on 01462 650211 or Roy Williams on 01707 690430.
Thursday, April 24
Division One North Cup, final: Magnum 3 White Hart 5.
Saturday, April 26
Division One North: Fairlands 3 St Ippolyts Res 4, Westwell 1 The Orchard and The Anvil 11.
Thursday, May 1
Benevolent Shield, final: Probuild v Nirankari (at Hitchin Town FC, 7.30pm ko).
Saturday, May 3
Division One North: St Ippolyts Res v Westwell.