The Comet Stevenage Sunday Football League

Despite a weather-affected weekend, there was still plenty to report on writes Darren Statto Jones. Third Division Roebuck Gate managed to hold on at the death against their Division One opponents after seeing their three-goal lead eroded to just one wi

Despite a weather-affected weekend, there was still plenty to report on writes Darren "Statto" Jones.

Third Division Roebuck Gate managed to hold on at the death against their Division One opponents after seeing their three-goal lead eroded to just one with minutes to spare. Mark Edwards gave them the half-time lead, picking up a loose ball from a melee to drive low into the corner from 10 yards. Within the first few minutes of the second-half the advantage was doubled when Matt Jackson's cross was diverted into his own net by a Fox defender.

This was extended to three with half an hour to go when Daniel Swales' effort returned off the crossbar to Edwards, who put the ball past the despairing keeper. However, Fox fought back well and scored with 10 minutes left on the clock with a James Dance effort from outside the area that looped over 'keeper Richard Pomroy.

They pulled another back when a wide free-kick was met by a glancing header from Dave Sell that snuck in at the near post.

Division Four leaders Athletico Timebridge were two-up at half-time thanks to Leeroy Odd and Terry Lock. Division Three side high-flyers MBDA fought back when a good team-move culminated in Rob Barton sliding home, before Iain Donaldson levelled with a header.

With just fifteen minutes remaining, Odd scored with an outrageous finish before Liam Boon sliced his low cross into the net to extend the lead further. Odd completed his hat-trick from 20 yards before Lock added another. Both sides were guilty of further misses, but Athletico now face Roebuck Gate in the last 16.

Most Read

Chris Chalat and Joe Chilton gave Emperors Head a slim half-time lead against Herts Fencing, who replied through Rich Brown's effort following a free-kick. However, after the break, Brown added two for his hat-trick before Ricky Dance and Russell Ayles also put chances away as Fencing cruised through. Steve Harris pulled one back.

Hartham Press put their disappointing league form behind them and created a number of chances before James Khakpour-Smith converted with a low drive. Perry Faulkner levelled for Old Town Wetherspoons before half-time. Andy Parrish finished well from a Khakpour-Smith through-ball. However, with just a few minutes to go, Michael Coombes forced extra-time. Khakpour-Smith grabbed another before Parrish grabbed two more for his hat-trick. Jordan Dineen rounded things off, netting after a brilliant solo run.

Times Club took a shock lead against their more illustrious opponents after five minutes through Karl Rickaby. However, Probuild took control of the game, Dean Allen scoring four times before a well deserved goal from winger Pete Duffy, and one from in-form Tel Pateman. Times pulled one back from the spot through John Otomby to make it 6-2 at the break. Michael Bunker chipped the 'keeper to net before another from Pateman and an own goal proved too much as Probuild showed their class. Times pulled another back with the last kick through Rickaby again.

In the sole Premier Division game between the only sides out of the KLM Cup, J.A.P Builders got off to a flying start and were two-up inside five minutes thanks to the in-form duo of Negus Johnson and Leeroy Williams. They went into the break five up, Johnson completing his hat-trick and Luke Gumble scoring from the penalty spot.

The break saw Johnson withdrawn, then shortly after the break, 'keeper Jarell Stratton was taken off with an injury. DC Outbar capitalised on makeshift 'keeper Patrick Alcide and pulled one back when Gav Bowler slid the ball across the face of goal for Theo Griffith to expertly finish first time. Bowler then pulled another one back with a free-kick from the left which went straight in over the keeper's head before Lee Metselaar made it three with a shot, which looped up off the defender's attempted block from 12 yards out. The spirit of the game was spoilt when Gumble was sent-off for striking Metselaar after a melee.

Fox Res grabbed their first win of the season in Division Four. Tristan Foreman was on target early on before Graham Scoot's winner. White Lion Walkern's reply came from Asa Common.

A1 Trophies used their Invitation Cup fixture to give a run out to a few players. Manager Paul Metcalf made his first appearance in a few years at centre back. They were 3-1 down at the break despite Garry Brown slotting home. Peter Morrison (hat-trick), Richard Bell and James Anderson saw Putterills home despite Brown scoring a second with a 40-yard lob and he completed his hat-trick with a good finish into the top corner.

Stephen Clibbon and Ashley Goodson added to the two-goal lead to give Roebuck Wanderers the points against Marquis of Lorne. Frazer Triggs (two) and Jamie Robertson's goals weren't enough.