The Comet Snooker Cup
There was a new finalist in the showdown for The Comet Cup at Hitchin Snooker Club. The September final was the ninth monthly handicap competition of the year and brought this year s total prize money to £2,050. The competition attracted 14 entrants and w
There was a new finalist in the showdown for The Comet Cup at Hitchin Snooker Club.
The September final was the ninth monthly handicap competition of the year and brought this year's total prize money to £2,050.
The competition attracted 14 entrants and was played over four rounds, with the first two rounds being best of three and the semis and final best of five.
The semi-finalists were Mick Kretay (whose handicap is 73), Oliver Mason (63), Damian Doolan (four) and Shane Pyper (73). Mason battled his way past Kretay, winning 3-1 despite giving his opponent a 10-point start, to reach his first final.
In the final he was outplayed by one of the club's best players, Doolan, who had to give him a huge points start. Doolan eventually won the final 3-1.
The prize money for this competition totalled £190. Doolan won £120, runner-up Mason £50 and Kretay and Pyper £10 apiece. The highest breaks came from Matt Andrews (48) and Lee Hair (47).
- 1 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 2 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 3 Rejoice! American landlady saves Charlton's historic Windmill pub
- 4 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 5 A505 driver left with serious injuries after car leaves road near Hitchin
- 6 Hitchin to host Platinum Jubilee Carnival to honour Queen
- 7 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 8 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
- 9 Thousands set to bring out the bunting for Jubilee thanks to grant funding
- 10 Michelin-star chef to kick off Sea Change campaign with tasty seafood samples
The Comet Cup is played on the last Sunday of every month and costs £10 to enter. More information is available from Michael Norgan on 07814 002916 or email@example.com