The Comet Cup is back
The Comet Cup has been relaunched for 2006 at Hitchin Snooker Club. The Sunday competition had 21 entrants and produced some really good snooker. Lee Hair potted his way to a 93 break before being beaten two frames to one by Gary Pyper. The competition wa
The Comet Cup has been relaunched for 2006 at Hitchin Snooker Club.
The Sunday competition had 21 entrants and produced some really good snooker.
Lee Hair potted his way to a 93 break before being beaten two frames to one by Gary Pyper.
The competition was played over five rounds, with the first three rounds being over three frames, the quarter-finals being first to five frames and the semis and final being seven frames.
The four semi-finalists were Pyper, Ray Lloyd, Lee Gibbs of Hitchin and Gary Banks, a 16-year-old from Letchworth GC.
Gary is one of the club's younger players who is showing real promise and he was beaten by the competition's eventual winner Lloyd.
- 1 A-level results 2022: Schools in Stevenage and North Herts share successes
- 2 Man 'assaulted' and hit by chair in Baldock service station
- 3 Calling all gamers! New eSports centre coming to Stevenage
- 4 Leisure centre turns up the heat with new sauna and steam rooms
- 5 Body found in wooded area of Stevenage
- 6 Which Thameslink trains are running during the RMT strike?
- 7 Residents show 'strong support' for TK Maxx relocation plans
- 8 Four Vauxhall cars stolen in North Herts
- 9 Man allegedly assaulted and robbed woman in Stevenage park
- 10 'My mum was eligible for Covid-19 drugs - so why didn't she get them?'
The prize money for this competition totalled £420 - winner Lloyd won £230, runner-up Gibbs £110 and the beaten semi-finalists £40 apiece.
The competition is a handicap where each player is awarded a handicap appropriate to their skill level.
Each player earns an extra point each week they take part unless they reach the quarter-final where points are deducted depending on the player's final position.
Handicaps varied between minus seven and plus 80 on Sunday.
Damian Doolan, who played off minus seven, is the club's most improved player over the past year, reducing his handicap from 13 while hitting several 60 plus breaks in that period.
The Comet Cup is played on the last Sunday of every month and costs £20 to enter. A large buffet is provided for all entrants.
The competition is open to all and anyone requiring information should call Michael Norgan on 07814 002916 or email email@example.com
Although The Comet Cup is a monthly competition, an identical tournament takes place at the club every Sunday.
It starts at 5pm and the total prize money this year is £2915 including the money for The Comet Cup.