The 600 club at Lea Sports Pirton
There was a joint celebration for two North Herts footballers from Lea Sports Pirton. Not only did defender Archie Conway (shown right of picture) make his 600th appearance for Lea Sports Pirton on Sunday but striker Phil Thompson, 42, also scored his 600
There was a joint celebration for two North Herts footballers from Lea Sports Pirton.
Not only did defender Archie Conway (shown right of picture) make his 600th appearance for Lea Sports Pirton on Sunday but striker Phil Thompson, 42, also scored his 600th goal for the club.
Conway has been a stalwart of the club, playing in championship and cup winning teams, in the 27 years since making his debut on October 11, 1981.
Now 54 years old, he is still putting in sterling performances at the heart of the reserves' defence.
You may also want to watch:
Thompson made his debut for Lea Sports Pirton as a 17 year old on November 21, 1982, in a friendly match for their third team versus Toddington Farmers.
He even scored that day and has hardly stopped scoring since!
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of harassment after Stevenage and Preston incidents
- 2 Who is Slove? Spate of Stevenage graffiti prompts police appeal
- 3 Pictured: The first pints, haircuts, swims and more as lockdown restrictions ease
- 4 What can I do and what opens when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday, April 12?
- 5 Have you seen missing man from Stevenage?
- 6 Stevenage's play areas set to reopen for first time in months
- 7 Inside the breathtaking £2.6million historic house that has its own 'party barn'
- 8 Former Hitchin and Stevenage MP Shirley Williams dies aged 90
- 9 Drive-in cinema arriving at London Luton Airport
- 10 All change at Arlesey Town as chairman John Morrell is replaced by former Premier League striker
His best season was in 1998-99 when he scored 55 goals in just 32 games.
Saturday's match versus Dynamo Old Boys in the North Home Counties Division Four saw Thompson need just 20 seconds to score his 600th goal.
He went on to score three more in a match won 6-0 by Lea Sports Pirton Reserves.
This gives him a tally of 603 goals in just 582 games over 26 years - this season he has 31 goals in 22 games for the club.
Club president and secretary Steve Smith said: "It is a remarkable achievement for both players and fitting that they should both reach their target in the same match.
"They are a credit to the club and to local football.