Tewin race ace to partner Alonso
FORMULA One will have a new face on the grid next year – Tewin race ace Lewis Hamilton. McLaren today (Friday, November 24) confirmed the 21-year-old will partner World champion Fernando Alonso for the 2007 season. Lewis, who won this year s GP2 series, w
FORMULA One will have a new face on the grid next year - Tewin race ace Lewis Hamilton.
McLaren today (Friday, November 24) confirmed the 21-year-old will partner World champion Fernando Alonso for the 2007 season.
Lewis, who won this year's GP2 series, will become the first black driver to compete in F1's 56-year history.
He said: "It's a dream come true.
"To be racing in Formula 1 with McLaren has been the ultimate goal for me since I was very young and this opportunity is a fantastic way to end what has been the best year for me.
McLaren chairman and CEO Ron Dennis said: "Since 1998 Lewis has formed an important part of our long-term strategy and we are pleased that we are able to help him take another step and achieve his dream of becoming a Formula One racing driver."
- 1 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 2 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 3 Rejoice! American landlady saves Charlton's historic Windmill pub
- 4 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 5 A505 driver left with serious injuries after car leaves road near Hitchin
- 6 New opening date for Stevenage Geek Retreat
- 7 Hitchin to host Platinum Jubilee Carnival to honour Queen
- 8 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 9 Thousands set to bring out the bunting for Jubilee thanks to grant funding
- 10 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
Motor racing has played a significant part in Lewis' life so far.
His father Anthony bought him a go-kart when he was eight, having seen his skills with a remote control car.
After a number of go-kart titles, he was snapped up by McLaren group chairman and chief executive officer Ron Dennis at the tender age of 13.
He signed for the team's young driver support programme, and continued to progress through the go-karting ranks, picking up various international championships and accolades along the way.
Lewis then stepped up to the British Formula Renault Championship, then on to the Formula 3 Euro Series and, this year, GP2, which is the feeder series for F1.