Teenage prodigy secures Hitchin win
Corby Town 2 Hitchin Town 3 A goal in added time by teenage prodigy Scott Orphanou gave Hitchin their third successive win and lifted the Canaries to fourth in the BGB Premier Division last night (Wednesday). Hitchin fans are starting to believe that thi
Corby Town 2 Hitchin Town 3
A goal in added time by teenage prodigy Scott Orphanou gave Hitchin their third successive win and lifted the Canaries to fourth in the BGB Premier Division last night (Wednesday).
Hitchin fans are starting to believe that this could be their year. Darren Salton's men have lost just twice in 18 league and cup games and the manager's ambition of getting into the play-offs this season is starting to look realistic.
The Canaries came from behind twice against Corby, demonstrating their growing confidence and character.
They fell behind after 17 minutes, Rob Maddox bundling the ball home after Liam Fold's mis-kick got caught in the swirling wind. In a first half lacking in excitement, Hitchin looked subdued and out of sorts.
The team talk by Salton seemed to inspire his charges. In the opening seconds of the new half, Daniel French sent over a cross that just eluded the Hitchin attack and then Gavin Jaggard shot wide.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Audi driver in his 20s killed in crash with lorry on A507 near Shefford
- 3 New opening date for Stevenage Geek Retreat
- 4 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 5 North Herts grass verge cutting to be reduced
- 6 Platinum Jubilee: postbox toppers appear for celebrations
- 7 Stevenage make Danny Rose their fourth signing of the summer
- 8 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 9 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 10 Rejoice! American landlady saves Charlton's historic Windmill pub
In the 56th minute, Hitchin equalised through fit-again striker Chris Dillon. Chris Pendleton played the ball through to the striker and he beat a defender and shot home from an acute angle.
French struck a post as Hitchin stepped up a gear but 15 minutes from the end, the home side - against the run of play - went ahead with another untidy goal. A lobbed shot by Kevin Byrne hit the post and rebounded onto Rob Beckwith and rolled into the net.
In the 86th minute, though, the Canaries equalised again with a superb goal. Substitute Orphanou was fouled some 35 yards out and Mark Ducket's free-kick arrowed into the top corner of the Corby goal.
The drama was not over as in the 91st minute, Orphanou intercepted a bad back pass and showed great composure as he scored the winner.
Hitchin: Beckwith, Pugh, Pendleton (Ducket 62), Frater, Folds, Deeney, Williams, Miller (Orphanou 78), Dillon, Jaggard, French.