Taylor farewell

JON Taylor s last match in charge saw Arlesey Town win a replay at Flackwell Heath to make progress in the FA Trophy on Tuesday night. The determined performance was in total contrast to Saturday s insipid scoreless draw. Arlesey had three enforced change

JON Taylor's last match in charge saw Arlesey Town win a replay at Flackwell Heath to make progress in the FA Trophy on Tuesday night.

The determined performance was in total contrast to Saturday's insipid scoreless draw.

Arlesey had three enforced changes as Dean McElroy was ill and both Darran Hay and Ivan Finch had work commitments that prevented them making the trip.

Into the squad came Stuart Beevor, back from Maidenhead, and Ozie Foster, after a spell at Mildenhall, with Kaan Fehmi now recovered from injury.

Luke Bliss retained his position in goal with Jack Rashid still suspended following his red card at Witham.

Foster made a dramatic return when he gave Arlesey the lead in the 26th minute from a right-wing move.

Most Read

He drove the ball at keeper Hart who initially blocked his shot only for the striker to fire home the rebound.

Ten minutes later, Arlesey thought they had increased their lead when a Craig Rydeheard cross was headed home by Martyn Williams but a flag cut short their celebrations.

The visitors continued to ask questions and on the stroke of half-time Paul Bloss got behind the defence on the left to see his shot flash narrowly wide.

Five minutes into the new half, Flackwell Heath equalised as Shane Graham beat Bliss from a narrow angle.

But 11 minutes later, Arlesey regained the lead when Fehmi marked his return from injury by comfortably beating keeper Hart.

The Blues dominated the remainder of the game with Foster, Williams and Michael McKenzie going close.

Their reward is a trip to Sittingbourne in the next round on October 21.

Blues: Bliss, Beevor, Bloss, Williams, Dogbe, Gray, K Fehmi, Tekell, Foster, McKenzie, Rydeheard.

The first game on Saturday afternoon ended goalless.

Arlesey could have gone ahead but Bloss fired his shot into the side netting.

Flackwell Heath's Graham rattled the post with a drilled shot, and the visitors threatened again with a close range shot which went narrowly over the bar. A Hay header brought the best out of goalkeeper Hart.

Arlesey were squandering possession too easily and almost fell behind as keeper Bliss deflected a shot across the face of goal and Bloss made the clearance.

After the break, a quick break down the right saw McKenzie head goalwards but Hart produced a miraculous save from virtually point blank range.

Moments later, a Rydeheard cross was met by McElroy whose diving header was palmed superbly around the post.

The visitors were caught out when McKenzie went one-on-on one with Ricky Pattendon. When McKenzie went down in a heap, the referee had no choice other than to send the defender off.

With the opposition down to 10 men, Hay had a chance to side-foot the ball home but it got stuck under his feet.

Arlesey lost their momentum but still had an opportunity to win through on the day when Rydeheard missed the target from a yard to ensure a replay.

Blues: Bliss, McElroy, Bloss, Finch, Dogbe, Gray, Williams, Tekell (Fehmi), Hay (Forde), McKenzie, Rydeheard.