Marriott's schoolgirl Tala Clarke enjoys victory on England debut
- Credit: MATT CLARKE
Tala Clarke of Marriott's School played a starring role on debut as England beat Wales in an U19 international golf match.
The Knebwoth Golf Club member was part of a 14-strong squad, consisting of eight boys and six girls who travelled to the fixture at The Rolls of Monmouth course in South Wales.
They competed for 21 points over morning foursomes and afternoon singles.
Clarke and her foursomes partner Eve Neild of Norfolk suffered a narrow 2&1 loss in the morning matches but the U16 English Schools Golf Association champion came out firing in the afternoon singles matches.
She played some of her very best golf to be under par when she closed out a 4&2 victory with a closing birdie on the 16th hole against Hollie Jenkins.
It meant the English girls secured a 5-4 win and with the boys strolling to an 11-1 success, England claimed a 16-5 overall victory.
Clarke said: "I really enjoyed the experience. It was an honour to compete for England and be part of such an amazing team."
- 1 I went to Stevenage Charter Fair for the first time, and here's what I thought
- 2 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage
- 3 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 4 Teaching assistant celebrates 50 years of working at school
- 5 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 6 Stevenage has 'no money left' for new special needs children, says county council
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Appeal after dog attack in Stevenage park
- 9 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 10 Woman taken to hospital after medical incident in town centre