Table-toppers topple Blueharts
Strikes from Jimmy Lewis and Mike Oliver were not enough for Blueharts to overcome table topping Harleston on Saturday as they went down 4-2. In a frantic opening, Harleston took the lead early from a short corner before Lewis brought the scores level on
Strikes from Jimmy Lewis and Mike Oliver were not enough for Blueharts to overcome table topping Harleston on Saturday as they went down 4-2.
In a frantic opening, Harleston took the lead early from a short corner before Lewis brought the scores level on 14 minutes.
After good build up down the right, the forward worked his way into the D and, as he lost balance, he managed to get a reverse stick effort past the goalkeeper to make it 1-1.
With the scores now level, Harleston went back on the attack and could have been 4-1 up had it not been for Gillan Ide and Oli Hammond's goal-line clearances.
You may also want to watch:
However, on 20 minutes the Magpies were given the chance to re-take the lead from the flick spot after a rash challenge and their forward made no mistake.
Despite creating chances, including Lewis somehow managing to ping one against the bar from close range, Blueharts conceded another just before the break.
- 1 Famous faces: A look at Stevenage's most notable people
- 2 Our town in pictures: A journey through Stevenage's past and present
- 3 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 4 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 5 Stevenage through and through - nine generations of family see town transformed
- 6 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
- 7 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 8 From Silkin's vision to regeneration: How our town has evolved through the years
- 9 Stevenage celebrates its 75th birthday: Editor's letter
- 10 Fit for a Queen! A look back at Stevenage's royal visits
And things didn't get much better for the home team after the break as a fortuitous ball from midfield went through a sea of players and was turned in by a Magpie to make it 4-1.
With 15 minutes to go, Blueharts did pull one back, when a short corner routine went to Mike Oliver who finished, but there was to be no fightback, as Harleston's goalkeeper denied both John Barrett and Lewis late on.
Despite the first XI defeat, there was better news for the other teams in the club.
The second's won 4-1 at Harpenden thanks to a double from Richard Middleditch, and goals from Oscar Fas and Adam Wells.
The third XI drew 1-1 against Shefford & Sandy while Chris Slack's hat-trick helped the fours win 4-1.
And the fives finally recorded their first win of the season, beating league-leaders Welwyn thirds 3-1.