Table-toppers topple Blueharts
Strikes from Jimmy Lewis and Mike Oliver were not enough for Blueharts to overcome table topping Harleston on Saturday as they went down 4-2. In a frantic opening, Harleston took the lead early from a short corner before Lewis brought the scores level on
Strikes from Jimmy Lewis and Mike Oliver were not enough for Blueharts to overcome table topping Harleston on Saturday as they went down 4-2.
In a frantic opening, Harleston took the lead early from a short corner before Lewis brought the scores level on 14 minutes.
After good build up down the right, the forward worked his way into the D and, as he lost balance, he managed to get a reverse stick effort past the goalkeeper to make it 1-1.
With the scores now level, Harleston went back on the attack and could have been 4-1 up had it not been for Gillan Ide and Oli Hammond's goal-line clearances.
However, on 20 minutes the Magpies were given the chance to re-take the lead from the flick spot after a rash challenge and their forward made no mistake.
Despite creating chances, including Lewis somehow managing to ping one against the bar from close range, Blueharts conceded another just before the break.
- 1 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 2 Stevenage woman arrested following 'dangerous driving and assault'
- 3 Former pub owner admits to food hygiene offences
- 4 Plans to demolish two houses and build 20 flats in their place
- 5 Driver hospitalised with ‘serious injuries’ following crash in Hitchin
- 6 Parents' anger as possible school redundancies loom amid academy transition
- 7 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 8 Vauxhall flips onto roof in crash with Mercedes in Letchworth
- 9 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 10 Man in his 80s seriously injured after Honda crash in Stevenage
And things didn't get much better for the home team after the break as a fortuitous ball from midfield went through a sea of players and was turned in by a Magpie to make it 4-1.
With 15 minutes to go, Blueharts did pull one back, when a short corner routine went to Mike Oliver who finished, but there was to be no fightback, as Harleston's goalkeeper denied both John Barrett and Lewis late on.
Despite the first XI defeat, there was better news for the other teams in the club.
The second's won 4-1 at Harpenden thanks to a double from Richard Middleditch, and goals from Oscar Fas and Adam Wells.
The third XI drew 1-1 against Shefford & Sandy while Chris Slack's hat-trick helped the fours win 4-1.
And the fives finally recorded their first win of the season, beating league-leaders Welwyn thirds 3-1.