Swimmers collect a record haul of medals
The two dozen swimmers from the Mid Beds Swim Squad that competed in the East Regional Age Group Championships followed in the footsteps of their youth counterparts by collecting a record medal haul. The swimmers managed 28 top eight finishes in the first
The two dozen swimmers from the Mid Beds Swim Squad that competed in the East Regional Age Group Championships followed in the footsteps of their youth counterparts by collecting a record medal haul.
The swimmers managed 28 top eight finishes in the first two weekends of June, collecting nine medals - five golds and four silvers - in the process.
Adam Ingledew collected golds in the 200m freestyle, 100m backstroke, 200m backstroke and 100m butterfly and silvers in the 100m freestyle and 200m individual medley.
Alex Raine collected a silver in the 800m freestyle and gained his national qualifying time in the 1500m freestyle. He looks set for selection for the 800m freestyle as he is currently ranked fourth in the country.
Kane Farrell showed his breaststroking talent by collecting silver in the 200m event and turning that into gold in the 100m breaststroke setting the fastest time by a 10-year-old in the country in that discipline.
The swimmers made 11 finals in total which included Abbie Lavallin in the 100m breaststroke and 200m individual medley, Kane Farrell in the 200m individual medley, Alasdair Kerr in the 100m breaststroke and Charlotte McConnell in the 200m breaststroke.
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 2 Lights stolen in Baldock burglary
- 3 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 4 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
- 5 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 6 Villagers pull together to support boy with life-limiting condition
- 7 Invitation to Hitchin community garden party!
- 8 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 9 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 10 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
There was also success in the BAGCATs (decathlon-type scoring system) which identifies the best all-round swimmers in each age group.
Adam Ingledew collected a second place in the 13-year-old boys, Kane Farrell finished fourth in the 10-year-old boys and Abbie Lavallin finished fifth in the 13-year-old girls.
Head coach Vix Metcalf said: "All of the swimmers competed to their very best ability gaining 71 personal best performances and 10 national qualifying times in the process. We hope to build on our eighth place in the medal table next year."
Other competitors from Mid Beds were Rachel Hollington, Thomas Kelly, Katie Tavener, Dean Gibson, Robert Baldrance, Chelsea Prouten, Tamara Richards, Danielle Lee, Shauna Lee, Sophie Thrussell, Emma Jones, Josh Farrell, George Lavallin, Chris Davey, Christian Stokes, Chris Budd and Chris Bradbury.