Swimmers’ busy schedule
Hitchin Swimming Club s busy fortnight has seen them attend the Ipswich and Thetford swimming open meets. There were 21 swimmers competing at the gala at Ipswich. With 22 clubs from all over the East Region competing, Hitchin came away with a total of 13
Hitchin Swimming Club's busy fortnight has seen them attend the Ipswich and Thetford swimming open meets.
There were 21 swimmers competing at the gala at Ipswich.
With 22 clubs from all over the East Region competing, Hitchin came away with a total of 13 gold, six silver and two bronze medals.
Laura West and Phillipa Tappin led the way, winning medals in all events that they competed in. Fantastic Laura (girls' 16 years) won five golds in the 50m, 100m and 400m freestyle, 200m individual medley and 400m individual medley and two silvers in the 50m butterfly and 100m butterfly.
Phillipa managed three gold medals in the 50m, 100m and 200m breaststroke in the girls' 18 years category.
The duo of Alex Baker and Matt Lander took the honours for the boys.
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 2 Lights stolen in Baldock burglary
- 3 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 4 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
- 5 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 6 Villagers pull together to support boy with life-limiting condition
- 7 Invitation to Hitchin community garden party!
- 8 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 9 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 10 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
Alex (boys' 13 years) won two gold medals in the 50m and 100m breaststroke with silver in the 200m breaststroke.
Matthew (boys' 17 years) won two golds and one bronze in the 100m, 200m and 50m breaststroke.
Further medal winners were Rebecca Allen (girls' 16 years) gold 400m individual medley, Charlotte Read (girls' 11 years) silver 50m breaststroke, Oliver Creasey (boys' 15 years) silver 200m butterfly and Callum Chivers (boys' nine years) silver 200m breaststroke and bronze in the 50m breaststroke.
Only a dozen swimmers made the trip to Thetford with the Hatfield Valentine Open meet this weekend.
Continuing on from his success at Ipswich, Alex Baker led from the front by winning the boys' 13 years category 100m breaststroke and 100m backstroke with silver in the 200m individual medley.
Oliver Creasey (boys' 15 years) won silver in the100m butterfly, Fraser Chivers (boys' 12 years) bronze 100m freestyle and Madeleine Churchman (girls' 10 years) took bronze medals in the 50m breaststroke and 100m individual medley.
Other medal winners were Lewis Rainbow, Callum Chivers, Rosie O'Sullivan and Bethan Robb.