Sunday, August 17
My hotel is the base for SportsWorld, the main organiser for the trips here. Every day cars draw up with National Olympic Committee members from many countries. What China has in great supply is people and that s very evident in the hotel. From the momen
My hotel is the base for SportsWorld, the main organiser for the trips here. Every day cars draw up with National Olympic Committee members from many countries.
What China has in great supply is people and that's very evident in the hotel. From the moment you step out of your car and walk onto the first step of the building there is someone to get the door for you. When you leave there is someone to get your taxi or see you onto your coach. Talk about a welcome!
Breakfast is amazing and I know I keep saying it but nothing is too much trouble. I have already been told not to expect the same when I return home!
Everywhere is decked out with posters and Beijing 2008 bunting, there's great coverage of the Games and we're kept up to date with Team GB's progress in the medal table. Who could ask for anything more?
You may also want to watch:
I used the subway at 12.30pm last night. It's clean, quick and efficient and also free if you have a venue ticket. At least 95% of the people using the subway are Chinese so you definitely stick out as 'the tourist'.
As I missed lunch today moving between the rowing (what fantastic results!) and the Birds Nest I needed something to eat. I bought two chocolate bars, two small boxes of crackers, one packet of crisps, a fizzy drink a bottle of water, which came to about £2.50. Now what would that cost at Wembley?
- 1 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 2 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 3 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 4 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 5 Weather warning for rain on the horizon after scorching heatwave
- 6 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 7 Tributes to Poppy Appeal stalwart and 'true gentleman' Les Mortimer
- 8 Walk-in vaccine slots available this week
- 9 Tributes after Stevenage Forum co-founder dies
- 10 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
This afternoon I tried something different. I went to the Water Polo, which at another £2.50 was hardly expensive. Never having watched it before it was fascinating to see those who supported it and the rules of play. It can get brutal with lots of whistle blowing and sending off for those who go too far - thoroughly entertaining.
More Athletics tonight before my last full day of events. I hope my contacts will get me a visit to the Olympic Village so I can promote Hertfordshire but we shall see.