Sums add up at the Lister club
Lister Tennis Club in Stevenage has received backing in promoting the sport in local primary schools. The club has been able to continue sending coaches into local schools to teach Years One and Two (five to seven-year-olds). This is thanks to the program
Lister Tennis Club in Stevenage has received backing in promoting the sport in local primary schools.
The club has been able to continue sending coaches into local schools to teach Years One and Two (five to seven-year-olds).
This is thanks to the programme being sponsored by Quantum Financial Services, based in Stevenage Old Town.
Free taster sessions with qualified coaches at schools is followed by the children being invited down to Lister to see the facilities on offer.
The chairman of Lister Tennis Club, Andrew Miles, is shown shaking hands with Kevin Slade, the managing director of Quantum Financial Services.
n Lister Tennis Club coach Neil Roskilly played his part in the promotion of the Herts men's winter county cup team to the top division.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Audi driver in his 20s killed in crash with lorry on A507 near Shefford
- 3 New opening date for Stevenage Geek Retreat
- 4 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 5 Rejoice! American landlady saves Charlton's historic Windmill pub
- 6 North Herts grass verge cutting to be reduced
- 7 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 8 Platinum Jubilee: postbox toppers appear for celebrations
- 9 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 10 Stevenage make Danny Rose their fourth signing of the summer
Roskilly is a former professional player who now coaches at Lister but still finds the time to play at a high level.
The Herts men's county team are now in Division One for both the summer and winter events.
Hitchin's Arvind Parmar was also part of the team which participated at the event at Gosling Sports Park.
Herts ladies were runners-up by a narrow margin and just missed promotion.
Sarah Donovan, tennis manager for the Herts LTA, said: "Our men's squad fielded a great team this weekend, with Arvind Parmar jetting back from France to represent the county.
"They deservedly earned convincing victories against quality opponents to take themselves back into the top group.
"The ladies' squad were very unlucky not to gain promotion and were edged out by the narrowest of margins, which only fuels the desire to do it next year."
n Lister are also getting gearing up for the festive season.
Their Christmas Party is on Friday, December 22, from 1.30-3.30pm. It is for five to 16-year-olds and there will be a bouncy castle and music plus fun and games.
There are also Christmas tennis camps for juniors (five to 16-year-olds) and non-members are welcome. Half days and full days are available.
Lister also has an extensive term time programme for both juniors and adults. Please call 01438 721515 for further details.