Stotfold's shock reverse
Stotfold 1 St Ives 2 Stotfold s 10-match league winning run came to an end with a 2-1 defeat to St Ives on Tuesday night. But the Rokermen, who travel to Blackstones for a potential title decider this Saturday, are still in pole position to win the UCL Pr
Stotfold 1 St Ives 2
Stotfold's 10-match league winning run came to an end with a 2-1 defeat to St Ives on Tuesday night.
But the Rokermen, who travel to Blackstones for a potential title decider this Saturday, are still in pole position to win the UCL Premier Division for the first time despite their midweek setback.
The woodwork denied Joel Mason an opening goal in the first couple of minutes after Paul Garrett's cross was cleared to him. His low strike came off the bottom of the upright and then keeper Rob Mackay palmed away the resulting ball in.
You may also want to watch:
A big clearance from Mackay shortly afterwards put Jamie Blackwell in behind the backline but the visiting forward volleyed wide.
After a good spell of pressure from the visitors, with the only real threat coming from Scott Fielding's deflected shot that dipped on to the crossbar, Stotfold took the lead.
- 1 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 2 Why grass in Stevenage and North Herts public areas isn't cut
- 3 Two people taken to hospital with serious injuries after Clothall Road crash
- 4 Officers investigating vehicle interferences urge victims to come forward
- 5 Lasting tribute to schoolgirl after tragic death
- 6 The beach is back! Hitchin to welcome the return of sun and sand for the ultimate staycation
- 7 'Music legends' Aswad impress at LGC Live event in town centre
- 8 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 9 Crowds flock to Hitchin for Bucklersbury and Sun Street Day
- 10 'Fight for what is yours' - Alyssa Smith Jewellery's message following High Court win
Lee Allinson's free-kick on the left missed its intended target and was knocked forward in the middle of the box for Luke Donnelly to slot the ball past the keeper on 34 minutes.
The first half finished with Barry Albone stooping to put a header wide of the near post from a free-kick just in from the corner flag.
Mason then shot over from close range after working an opening on the left.
Three good chances at the start of the second half should have extended the lead for Stotfold.
Tawhid Juneja shot over at the far post after Mackay palmed a corner to him, followed by a great point blank save stopping Garrett turning in Mason's cross from the left, and Luke Donnelly striking over after Ricky Case teed the ball up for him.
These misses were punished on 57 minutes when a good ball in from the right was headed in at the far post by Blackwell running into the box.
Garrett's strike from distance was well held on 66 minutes with the St Ives winner coming eight minutes later, Blackwell again at the far post to sidefoot in a low ball across from the left.
Despite two substitutions, the best chance for an equaliser came on the stroke of full time with a ball headed down to Allinson on the left.
His weak low shot was comfortably held by the St Ives keeper though.
Rokermen: Gillham, Hull, P Donnelly (C Donnelly), Shambrook, Juneja, Lee, Case (Mullooly), L Donnelly, Mason, Allinson, Garrett.