Stotfold's shock reverse
Stotfold 1 St Ives 2 Stotfold s 10-match league winning run came to an end with a 2-1 defeat to St Ives on Tuesday night. But the Rokermen, who travel to Blackstones for a potential title decider this Saturday, are still in pole position to win the UCL Pr
Stotfold 1 St Ives 2
Stotfold's 10-match league winning run came to an end with a 2-1 defeat to St Ives on Tuesday night.
But the Rokermen, who travel to Blackstones for a potential title decider this Saturday, are still in pole position to win the UCL Premier Division for the first time despite their midweek setback.
The woodwork denied Joel Mason an opening goal in the first couple of minutes after Paul Garrett's cross was cleared to him. His low strike came off the bottom of the upright and then keeper Rob Mackay palmed away the resulting ball in.
A big clearance from Mackay shortly afterwards put Jamie Blackwell in behind the backline but the visiting forward volleyed wide.
After a good spell of pressure from the visitors, with the only real threat coming from Scott Fielding's deflected shot that dipped on to the crossbar, Stotfold took the lead.
- 1 Missing Letchworth woman found safe and well
- 2 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 3 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 4 Stevenage appoint former MK Dons boss Paul Tisdale as their new manager
- 5 All under 40s to be offered Covid booster jab
- 6 New manager Paul Tisdale optimistic about his journey of discovery at Stevenage
- 7 Stevenage squad to get their chance despite transfer promise says new boss Paul Tisdale
- 8 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 9 James Bay announces intimate ‘New Songs New Stories’ solo tour for Independent Venue Week
- 10 Former councillor recognised for 36 years of service
Lee Allinson's free-kick on the left missed its intended target and was knocked forward in the middle of the box for Luke Donnelly to slot the ball past the keeper on 34 minutes.
The first half finished with Barry Albone stooping to put a header wide of the near post from a free-kick just in from the corner flag.
Mason then shot over from close range after working an opening on the left.
Three good chances at the start of the second half should have extended the lead for Stotfold.
Tawhid Juneja shot over at the far post after Mackay palmed a corner to him, followed by a great point blank save stopping Garrett turning in Mason's cross from the left, and Luke Donnelly striking over after Ricky Case teed the ball up for him.
These misses were punished on 57 minutes when a good ball in from the right was headed in at the far post by Blackwell running into the box.
Garrett's strike from distance was well held on 66 minutes with the St Ives winner coming eight minutes later, Blackwell again at the far post to sidefoot in a low ball across from the left.
Despite two substitutions, the best chance for an equaliser came on the stroke of full time with a ball headed down to Allinson on the left.
His weak low shot was comfortably held by the St Ives keeper though.
Rokermen: Gillham, Hull, P Donnelly (C Donnelly), Shambrook, Juneja, Lee, Case (Mullooly), L Donnelly, Mason, Allinson, Garrett.