Stotfold leave it too late to rescue a point
STOTFOLD nearly climbed a mountain at Blackstones. They were three behind after half an hour before eventually losing 3-2. Hosts Blackstones went ahead on 10 minutes when Dean McElroy deflected Dean Foley s shot over his own keeper Nigel Blower. Adey Basc
STOTFOLD nearly climbed a mountain at Blackstones.
They were three behind after half an hour before eventually losing 3-2.
Hosts Blackstones went ahead on 10 minutes when Dean McElroy deflected Dean Foley's shot over his own keeper Nigel Blower.
Adey Bascombe and Jermaine Daley went close to an equaliser before Blackstones scored twice in five minutes.
Ash Stevens scored the first and Miles Mason then made it 3-0 with a looping shot over Blower.
Daley and Jason Blackett threatened after the break before Stotfold did pull one back just after the hour mark.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Audi driver in his 20s killed in crash with lorry on A507 near Shefford
- 3 New opening date for Stevenage Geek Retreat
- 4 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 5 North Herts grass verge cutting to be reduced
- 6 Platinum Jubilee: postbox toppers appear for celebrations
- 7 Stevenage make Danny Rose their fourth signing of the summer
- 8 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 9 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 10 Rejoice! American landlady saves Charlton's historic Windmill pub
Paul Harrington corner's was flicked on to Leon Cashman, who knocked it back into a crowded box. The ball was cleared only as far as McElroy, who volleyed in from about 10 yards.
Blackstones could have restored their three-goal advantage when Matty Doyle's weak shot was blocked on the line by Steve Blower.
Stotfold set up a grandstand finish when they pulled another goal back a quarter of an hour from time.
Blackett was clattered by Paul Shehan in the penalty area, with the player just cautioned when he could easily have been red carded. Harrington fired in the resulting penalty.
Hopes of an equaliser were thwarted when Bascombe first had a shot parried by Ian Flavell and then he took the ball too wide after rounding the goalkeeper.
Rokermen: N Blower, Daley, S Blower, Frater, McElroy, Cashman (Beckett 85m), Benton, Potter (Gonzague 62m), Blackett, Bascombe, Harrington.
Langford's early promise evaporated as they went down 4-1 at home to Holmer Green.
Robert Groves scored from the penalty spot after Wayne Goldsmith was hauled down inside five minutes. But the visitors scored twice in a minute to take the lead and netted a minute either side of the break to claim all the points.
Arlesey Athletic were beaten 4-0 at fellow promotion hopefuls Stony Stratford, conceding two goals in each half.