Stotfold hit opposition for six in cup tie
Stotfold hit visitors Irchester for six to make comfortable progress into the UCL KO Cup second round on Tuesday night. The first half would have been a entertaining 45 minutes to watch had it not been for the torrential rain! Brad Gillham got down well t
Stotfold hit visitors Irchester for six to make comfortable progress into the UCL KO Cup second round on Tuesday night.
The first half would have been a entertaining 45 minutes to watch had it not been for the torrential rain!
Brad Gillham got down well to cut out Liam Belfon's cross and then reacted quickly to block the follow-up on 13 minutes.
Steve Cook's weighted pass forward for Callum Donnelly was superbly finished to give Stotfold the lead on 19 minutes with a low strike to the far post from the left-hand side of the box.
Mark Bryant should have extended the lead before half time when he was clean through in the middle but his shot was a good height for keeper Ross Chapman to palm away.
The second goal came at the start of the second half after Joe Philbin's first shot beat the keeper but not the upright and Philbin knocked in the rebound.
- 1 Serious collision on A602 injures four
- 2 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 3 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 4 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 5 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 6 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 7 When to see The Geminids - one of the best meteor showers of the year
- 8 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 9 Care home excited to open its doors to new residents
- 10 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
Callum Donnelly could easily have come away with a hat-trick but it was sub Ashley Fitton who bagged three in 20 minutes. The first was a minute after coming on, volleying in a loose ball on the edge of the box on 71 minutes.
A minute later, Josh Butina added his name to the scoresheet with a run across the box and low shot.
Fitton headed in Philbin's cross on 89 minutes and completed his hat-trick a minute later by punishing a poor goal kick from the Division One visitors.
Rokermen: Gillham, Rennie, P Donnelly, Shambrook (Mitchell), Cottenden, Bryant, Morris (Fitton), Lochhead, Cook (Butina), C Donnelly, Philbin.