Stotfold crash out of FA Vase
Basildon United 4 Stotfold 1 History repeated itself as Stotfold, as last year, were unable to get past their first match in the FA Carlsberg Vase. After recent league performances, this first round result came as a bit of a shock. Boss Ian Donnelly did n
Basildon United 4 Stotfold 1
History repeated itself as Stotfold, as last year, were unable to get past their first match in the FA Carlsberg Vase.
After recent league performances, this first round result came as a bit of a shock.
Boss Ian Donnelly did not travel down to Essex for this tie after going down with flu the night before.
You may also want to watch:
An early goal for the home team, currently at the top of the Essex Senior League, gave them the start they had wanted when Michael Lee's cross was put over the line by Gareth Cottenden under pressure from Ricky Lee on three minutes.
Stotfold created few chances in the half, failing to get the ball under control and string passes together, with Paul Garrett and Brett Donnelly coming closest but not testing keeper Richard Mann.
- 1 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 2 Prime Minister Boris Johnson opens Airbus' new £35 million facility
- 3 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 4 Our town in pictures: A journey through Stevenage's past and present
- 5 Stevenage through and through - nine generations of family see town transformed
- 6 Famous faces: A look at Stevenage's most notable people
- 7 Community rallies together to clean up church after 'mindless' vandalism
- 8 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 9 Brett Donnelly happy with squad building as Stotfold aim for promotion goal
- 10 Floats, fun and fancy dress: Do you remember Stevenage Carnival?
Basildon's second came on 41 minutes when a free-kick from the left was driven low across goal with Brad Gillham unluckily parrying the ball on to the chest of Dave King as he was running towards goal.
Stotfold had a good shout for a penalty turned down shortly afterwards when it appeared as though Brett Donnelly's shot from Garrett's free-kick was palmed over the bar just before the break.
Brett Donnelly had a good chance to pull one goal back after the break but his chip over the keeper also went over the bar.
Stotfold's task of turning the two-goal deficit around looked less likely when Callum Donnelly saw red.
After receiving a yellow card for a challenge on the keeper and then warned about his verbal behaviour, he was given a second yellow and his marching orders for abusing the assistant referee on 57 minutes.
Stotfold conceded twice more via Richard Robinson who beat the offside trap and got clean through on goal on 71 and 80 minutes.
Scott Rennie neatly put a poorly cleared free-kick in the back of the net on 86 minutes for a consolation. But this did not disguise the fact that this was easily the worst Stotfold performance in recent times.
Rokermen: Gillham, Beckwith (Hull), P Donnelly, Rennie, Cottenden, Aldrin, Mitchell, Smith, B Donnelly, C Donnelly, Garrett.