Stotfold crash out of FA Vase
Basildon United 4 Stotfold 1 History repeated itself as Stotfold, as last year, were unable to get past their first match in the FA Carlsberg Vase. After recent league performances, this first round result came as a bit of a shock. Boss Ian Donnelly did n
Basildon United 4 Stotfold 1
History repeated itself as Stotfold, as last year, were unable to get past their first match in the FA Carlsberg Vase.
After recent league performances, this first round result came as a bit of a shock.
Boss Ian Donnelly did not travel down to Essex for this tie after going down with flu the night before.
You may also want to watch:
An early goal for the home team, currently at the top of the Essex Senior League, gave them the start they had wanted when Michael Lee's cross was put over the line by Gareth Cottenden under pressure from Ricky Lee on three minutes.
Stotfold created few chances in the half, failing to get the ball under control and string passes together, with Paul Garrett and Brett Donnelly coming closest but not testing keeper Richard Mann.
- 1 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 2 Fun fair set for town centre following April 12 reopening
- 3 "The most important lesson I've learned is to not give up" - Stevenage girl pays tribute to Duke of Edinburgh Awards
- 4 Arrest made after car crashes and overturns in Stevenage
- 5 Who are our Stevenage candidates for Local Elections 2021?
- 6 CCTV appeal after large amount of criminal damage to secured yard
- 7 Rave reviews come flying in as glam bar welcomes back first clients after months of lockdown
- 8 Local COVID-19 contact tracing service now up and running
- 9 Early start catches Stevenage sleeping as Mansfield claim the three points
- 10 Stevenage and Jack Smith still aiming for strong finish to season despite Mansfield frustrations
Basildon's second came on 41 minutes when a free-kick from the left was driven low across goal with Brad Gillham unluckily parrying the ball on to the chest of Dave King as he was running towards goal.
Stotfold had a good shout for a penalty turned down shortly afterwards when it appeared as though Brett Donnelly's shot from Garrett's free-kick was palmed over the bar just before the break.
Brett Donnelly had a good chance to pull one goal back after the break but his chip over the keeper also went over the bar.
Stotfold's task of turning the two-goal deficit around looked less likely when Callum Donnelly saw red.
After receiving a yellow card for a challenge on the keeper and then warned about his verbal behaviour, he was given a second yellow and his marching orders for abusing the assistant referee on 57 minutes.
Stotfold conceded twice more via Richard Robinson who beat the offside trap and got clean through on goal on 71 and 80 minutes.
Scott Rennie neatly put a poorly cleared free-kick in the back of the net on 86 minutes for a consolation. But this did not disguise the fact that this was easily the worst Stotfold performance in recent times.
Rokermen: Gillham, Beckwith (Hull), P Donnelly, Rennie, Cottenden, Aldrin, Mitchell, Smith, B Donnelly, C Donnelly, Garrett.