Still time to enter Sports Awards
DOZENS of people have applied for nomination forms for this year s Comet Sports Awards. Run in association with North Hertfordshire College, the awards are now in their fourth year and will again feature a dozen categories. The separate male and female sp
DOZENS of people have applied for nomination forms for this year's Comet Sports Awards.
Run in association with North Hertfordshire College, the awards are now in their fourth year and will again feature a dozen categories.
The separate male and female sportspeople of the year is being replaced by just one award - the Sports Personality of the Year.
And this year both boys and girls have separate categories in Youth Achievement.
The Disability Award is named in honour of former Paralympian marathon runner Paul Pearce from Letchworth Garden City who died tragically while out training.
Schools again have the opportunity to boast about their sporting prowess and achievements in two categories.
- 1 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 2 A505 driver left with serious injuries after car leaves road near Hitchin
- 3 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 4 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 5 Hitchin to host Platinum Jubilee Carnival to honour Queen
- 6 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
- 7 Prince Charles and Camilla to star in special EastEnders Jubilee episode filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Range Rover stopped towing ‘insecure trailer’ on A1(M) in Stevenage
- 10 Michelin-star chef to kick off Sea Change campaign with tasty seafood samples
The two awards for schools cover both primary (under-11) and secondary ones (11 and over).
As well as main sponsors North Hertfordshire College, other sponsors are the Letchworth Garden City Heritage Foundation, AVC, MBDA, GlaxoSmithKline, Stevenage Borough Council, Stevenage Leisure Limited, ESP, the Stevenage School Sports Co-ordinator Partnership plus Marshall Trophies and Signs.
Following the success of the three previous years, The Comet is once more asking readers to nominate the sporting stars and worthy winners in Comet country.
All ages, all standards and both sexes are sure to be honoured at this year's awards ceremony.
The categories requiring entries are listed below:
# Sports Personality of the Year;
# Team of the Year,
# Service to Sport;
# Coach of the Year;
# Club of the Year;
# Youth Achievement, Boys (under-18);
# Youth Achievement, Girls (under-18);
# Veteran Achievement (over-50);
# The Paul Pearce Disability Award;
# Against All Odds;
# Schools' Award (under-11);
# Schools' Award (11 and over).
Nomination forms are available from The Comet by email on:
or by calling 01438 866204.
All entries MUST be on the official Comet forms and should include a recent photograph(s) of the nominated team or individual.
Entries will not be accepted otherwise.
The closing date for entries is Friday, December 1.
The three finalists for each of the dozen categories will be highlighted in The Comet before Christmas.
The awards ceremony is scheduled for Friday, January 26, 2007, at the Stevenage site of main awards sponsors North Hertfordshire College.