Stevenage trio help Herts to schools' success
Three Stevenage swimmers helped Hertfordshire to a crushing victory at the 2008 Inter-County Schools Gala. The annual gala contested between Herts, Beds, Bucks and Oxfordshire is for swimmers in school Years Five to Eight. Three Stevenage swimmers – Dani
Three Stevenage swimmers helped Hertfordshire to a crushing victory at the 2008 Inter-County Schools' Gala.
The annual gala contested between Herts, Beds, Bucks and Oxfordshire is for swimmers in school Years Five to Eight.
Three Stevenage swimmers - Danielle Murphy, Carina Bays and Christie Bays - helped Herts to retain its regional title for the third consecutive year.
A strong Herts team dominated the gala winning all but six events.
You may also want to watch:
Carina won the Year Eight girls' breaststroke and Christie won the Year Six breaststroke breaking the previous county record by almost four seconds.
And Danielle finished in a creditable fourth place in the Year Six girls' fly.
- 1 Stevenage's Banksy brings another community mural to town's underpasses
- 2 11-year-old arrested on suspicion of attempted robbery
- 3 People with these surnames in Herts could be sitting on unclaimed estate fortunes
- 4 Persistent town centre beggar and thief sentenced
- 5 Have you seen this wanted man with links to Stevenage?
- 6 Cyclist suffers bruises to face after being punched in assault
- 7 CCTV appeal after window smashed at bowls club
- 8 Man jailed after threatening terrified neighbour with rape and arson
- 9 Major application submitted for 1,500 new homes on land west of Stevenage
- 10 Free parking in Letchworth town centre to welcome back shoppers
All three won gold medals as Herts set two new inter-county records in the relays.
Stevenage Swimming Club had a good showing at the recent middle distance Kate Lack Trophy Meet at Barnet's Copthall pool.
Local swimmers won a dozen medals and set some new personal best times at the gala.
Top performer Danny Buckley won two golds in the 400m freestyle and 200m backstroke and a third place in the 200m freestyle.
Jake Robinson also won two gold medals in the 200m and 400m individual medley events.
Joe Mahon and Matthew Costello achieved a series of personal bests with Joe winning a silver in the 200m individual medley and Matthew coming third in the 400m freestyle.
In the girls' events, Jessica Jackson won the 400m freestyle.
Fiona Thornton completed a successful day for the team with the top medal haul of three silvers in the 200m freestyle, 200m individual medley and the 200m breaststroke and a third in the 200m backstroke.
A report and pictures from the recent Stevenage Open Meet will appear in next week's Comet.