Stevenage trio help Herts to schools' success
Three Stevenage swimmers helped Hertfordshire to a crushing victory at the 2008 Inter-County Schools Gala. The annual gala contested between Herts, Beds, Bucks and Oxfordshire is for swimmers in school Years Five to Eight. Three Stevenage swimmers – Dani
Three Stevenage swimmers helped Hertfordshire to a crushing victory at the 2008 Inter-County Schools' Gala.
The annual gala contested between Herts, Beds, Bucks and Oxfordshire is for swimmers in school Years Five to Eight.
Three Stevenage swimmers - Danielle Murphy, Carina Bays and Christie Bays - helped Herts to retain its regional title for the third consecutive year.
A strong Herts team dominated the gala winning all but six events.
Carina won the Year Eight girls' breaststroke and Christie won the Year Six breaststroke breaking the previous county record by almost four seconds.
And Danielle finished in a creditable fourth place in the Year Six girls' fly.
- 1 Plans to demolish two houses and build 20 flats in their place
- 2 Former pub owner admits to food hygiene offences
- 3 Stevenage woman arrested following 'dangerous driving and assault'
- 4 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 5 Man in his 80s seriously injured after Honda crash in Stevenage
- 6 Parents' anger as possible school redundancies loom amid academy transition
- 7 Driver hospitalised with ‘serious injuries’ following crash in Hitchin
- 8 Vauxhall flips onto roof in crash with Mercedes in Letchworth
- 9 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 10 Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
All three won gold medals as Herts set two new inter-county records in the relays.
Stevenage Swimming Club had a good showing at the recent middle distance Kate Lack Trophy Meet at Barnet's Copthall pool.
Local swimmers won a dozen medals and set some new personal best times at the gala.
Top performer Danny Buckley won two golds in the 400m freestyle and 200m backstroke and a third place in the 200m freestyle.
Jake Robinson also won two gold medals in the 200m and 400m individual medley events.
Joe Mahon and Matthew Costello achieved a series of personal bests with Joe winning a silver in the 200m individual medley and Matthew coming third in the 400m freestyle.
In the girls' events, Jessica Jackson won the 400m freestyle.
Fiona Thornton completed a successful day for the team with the top medal haul of three silvers in the 200m freestyle, 200m individual medley and the 200m breaststroke and a third in the 200m backstroke.
A report and pictures from the recent Stevenage Open Meet will appear in next week's Comet.