Stevenage trio help Herts to schools' success
Three Stevenage swimmers helped Hertfordshire to a crushing victory at the 2008 Inter-County Schools Gala. The annual gala contested between Herts, Beds, Bucks and Oxfordshire is for swimmers in school Years Five to Eight. Three Stevenage swimmers – Dani
Three Stevenage swimmers helped Hertfordshire to a crushing victory at the 2008 Inter-County Schools' Gala.
The annual gala contested between Herts, Beds, Bucks and Oxfordshire is for swimmers in school Years Five to Eight.
Three Stevenage swimmers - Danielle Murphy, Carina Bays and Christie Bays - helped Herts to retain its regional title for the third consecutive year.
A strong Herts team dominated the gala winning all but six events.
You may also want to watch:
Carina won the Year Eight girls' breaststroke and Christie won the Year Six breaststroke breaking the previous county record by almost four seconds.
And Danielle finished in a creditable fourth place in the Year Six girls' fly.
- 1 Closure order for Hitchin bungalow following anti-social behaviour
- 2 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 3 Why grass in Stevenage and North Herts public areas isn't cut
- 4 Some bus services set to change to 'build on great network'
- 5 Bomb squad attends residential street in Letchworth
- 6 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 7 New mental health unit earmarked for Stevenage
- 8 'Music legends' Aswad impress at LGC Live event in town centre
- 9 From Doctor Foster to Midsomer Murders... North Herts on screen in these BritBox series
- 10 Two people taken to hospital with serious injuries after Clothall Road crash
All three won gold medals as Herts set two new inter-county records in the relays.
Stevenage Swimming Club had a good showing at the recent middle distance Kate Lack Trophy Meet at Barnet's Copthall pool.
Local swimmers won a dozen medals and set some new personal best times at the gala.
Top performer Danny Buckley won two golds in the 400m freestyle and 200m backstroke and a third place in the 200m freestyle.
Jake Robinson also won two gold medals in the 200m and 400m individual medley events.
Joe Mahon and Matthew Costello achieved a series of personal bests with Joe winning a silver in the 200m individual medley and Matthew coming third in the 400m freestyle.
In the girls' events, Jessica Jackson won the 400m freestyle.
Fiona Thornton completed a successful day for the team with the top medal haul of three silvers in the 200m freestyle, 200m individual medley and the 200m breaststroke and a third in the 200m backstroke.
A report and pictures from the recent Stevenage Open Meet will appear in next week's Comet.