Stevenage felled by Sevenoaks
Stevenage Ladies were beaten 5-1 at home by high-flying Sevenoaks. They started the brighter of the two sides, making the Sevenoaks defence work hard, and winning a succession of short corners. From one of these they took a deserved lead, Heather Hemmings
Stevenage Ladies were beaten 5-1 at home by high-flying Sevenoaks.
They started the brighter of the two sides, making the Sevenoaks defence work hard, and winning a succession of short corners.
From one of these they took a deserved lead, Heather Hemmings scoring a fine debut goal after Carly Seaton's strike.
This stung Sevenoaks into action and they responded by scoring two quick goals, both from excellent short corner routines, leaving goalkeeper Lisa Pickard with no chance.
Stevenage refused to let their heads drop and the rest of the half was even.
The new half started much the same but gradually Sevenoaks took control as Stevenage started to tire. It was from another short corner that the away team scored their third.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Audi driver in his 20s killed in crash with lorry on A507 near Shefford
- 3 New opening date for Stevenage Geek Retreat
- 4 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 5 North Herts grass verge cutting to be reduced
- 6 Platinum Jubilee: postbox toppers appear for celebrations
- 7 Stevenage make Danny Rose their fourth signing of the summer
- 8 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 9 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 10 Rejoice! American landlady saves Charlton's historic Windmill pub
Sevenoaks started to dominate and it took some great goal-line clearances from Jo Biggs and player of the match Becky Fenwick to keep the scoreline respectable.
But they could not stop Sevenoaks from scoring two more - a close range finish making it four before a fine finish late on made it five.
Other scores: Stev II 0 Cheshunt I 2, Stev III 0 Royston II 5; Stev IV 0 Berkhamsted and Hemel III 2; Stev V 0 Welwyn GC V 5.
Letchworth Ladies had their match cancelled due to a frozen pitch.
But the fourths had their first league win of the season as they beat Chess Valley 2-0.