Stevenage Borough Juniors crowned national champions after tense victory
- Credit: SBJFC
A young side from Stevenage Borough Juniors Football Club has lifted a national title.
The club's U15 Boca team battled their way through regional rounds to set up a winner-takes-all clash with Rushall Olympic at Gloucester City.
And after a tough contest which finished 1-1, they won 5-4 on penalties to lift the Junior Premier League U15 National Champions Cup.
A spokeswoman for the club said: "We couldn’t be more proud of this team. It is an amazing achievement from such a great set of lads and their fabulous coaches: Stuart Lopez, Scott Cretton and Keith Coughlin.
"With three players injured during the game we were down to the bare 11.
"But with a gritty defensive display and an outstanding performance from Harry Pattrick in goal, we managed to hold on and take it to penalties."
Stevenage Borough squad: George Bagge, Jasper Baines, Lucas Bond, Charlie Cane, Rio Cardines, Sonny Coughlin, William Cowe, Tate Cretton Billy Dexter, Keanu Fleming, Lucas Hince, Joseph Hnatiuk, Will Lopez, Arthur McDowell, Ben Palmer, Harry Pattrick, Kai Pitts-Lewis, Callum Scutchings, Charlie Smyth, Jack Young.
- 1 BID releases official statement after cancelling Christmas lights switch-on
- 2 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 3 Villagers left waiting over an hour in cold for Arriva buses demand better service
- 4 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 5 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 6 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 7 Hitchin named as happiest place to live in the East of England
- 8 Here's what we know so far about the new Covid variant
- 9 Driver assaulted in racially aggravated attack following car crash
- 10 Symonds Green development raises the number of social homes in Stevenage