Stevenage 0-1 Bury: Nicky Maynard’s late winner sinks Boro
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Dino Maamria’s Stevenage lost 1-0 to Bury after a goal by Nicky Maynard in the fifth minute of injury time at the Lamex on Saturday.
Maynard nodded past Paul Farman to grab the points after Scott Wharton’s excellent through ball fed the 32-year-old former Crewe forward after flick-ons from Dom Telford and Adam Thompson.
The result was harsh on Boro who had dominated the match and who could have been ahead early on when Moses Makasi narrowly failed to convert a Joel Byrom cross.
Makasi had two additional chances before the interval but an alert Shakers keeper Joe Murphy denied him.
The second half featured scrappy spells but Maamria’s men could have broken the deadlock when Johnny Hunt and Kurtis Guthrie worked openings but failed to convert. .
The Lamex outfit should have won the match when Jordan Gibson was provided with a clear chance but his shot flew over the bar when well-placed - before Maynard grabbed the points at the death with his 19th goal of the season to boost the Shakers hopes of catching Lincoln by moving to within two points of the Imps.
- 1 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 2 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 3 Stevenage Iceland to permanently close today
- 4 Looking to local talent - Airbus star rises from apprentice to manager
- 5 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 6 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 7 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 8 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 9 Why were they not at school? - a look at Hitchin's historical absence reports
- 10 'He was a good friend of Knebworth' - Knebworth House pays tribute to Bat Out of Hell singer Meat Loaf