Star trio at Herts Youth Games
Three of the country s top sportsmen will be cheering on the young stars of tomorrow in the annual Herts Youth Games this month. Colin Jackson, Peter Pearse and Graham Gooch will be there for the Games which are taking place on May 20 and 21 (Saturday and
Three of the country's top sportsmen will be cheering on the young stars of tomorrow in the annual Herts Youth Games this month.
Colin Jackson, Peter Pearse and Graham Gooch will be there for the Games which are taking place on May 20 and 21 (Saturday and Sunday).
Former England cricket captain Gooch will be attending on the Saturday. World record holder 110m hurdler Jackson and former Paralympic Boccia gold medallist Pearse will be at the following day.
The trio will watch around 2,000 children taking part in 11 different sports in teams representing all 10 districts of the county.
The Herts Sports Partnership will be the main sponsors of the two-day event.
Grahame Bowles, partnership chairman, said: "I am extremely pleased that the Herts Sports Partnership (in conjunction with Sport England East) was able to support the Youth Games this year.
- 1 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 2 Parents rally as play café forced to close amid major cost increases
- 3 Funeral of retired Stevenage school teacher hailed 'a legend'
- 4 Two-storey factory catches fire in Letchworth
- 5 Magpas Air Ambulance lands in Letchworth amid 'medical emergency'
- 6 Assault victim left with punctured lung after Hitchin 'scuffle'
- 7 Old Town Live organisers 'overwhelmed by response'
- 8 Hitchin widower's wing walk in wife's memory
- 9 Stevenage fundraising day in memory of much-loved Peter
- 10 Dog owner's grass seed warning after pet paralysed
"I have been involved in the Herts Youth Games for many years and know how important it is for young people in the county to be able to take part."
Following the success last year, the event will take place at a single venue - the Herts Sports Village at the University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield.
University sports director Nick Brooking added: " We are happy to be hosting this annual event which is a great showcase for youth sport from across the county.
"This is an ideal venue for the Games which for many of the children will be their first experience of a major multiple sports event.