Stags have to be content with a low rate of return
Bank of England 19 Stevenage Town 34 Stevenage Town expected high interest rates at the struggling Bank of England but instead had a low return. Stags made the mistake of paying little respect to their opposition and almost went overdrawn as the hosts dep
Bank of England 19 Stevenage Town 34
Stevenage Town expected high interest rates at the struggling Bank of England but instead had a low return.
Stags made the mistake of paying little respect to their opposition and almost went overdrawn as the hosts deposited three tries of their own, plus two conversions.
Unusually for Stags they were bossed in the tight by the big-money men and through lax lineout defence the Bank were allowed to open their account with a deposit in the corner.
Their full-back slotted two extra points out wide with the conversion.
The order for the day was to ship the ball out wide and stretch the Bank's defence.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Audi driver in his 20s killed in crash with lorry on A507 near Shefford
- 3 New opening date for Stevenage Geek Retreat
- 4 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 5 North Herts grass verge cutting to be reduced
- 6 Platinum Jubilee: postbox toppers appear for celebrations
- 7 Stevenage make Danny Rose their fourth signing of the summer
- 8 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 9 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 10 Rejoice! American landlady saves Charlton's historic Windmill pub
However, lack of communication or a misguided desire to battle it up front in an attempt to tire the city fat cats saw try scoring opportunities swamped by smothering forward play. When options were taken, tries were revealed out wide by Ian Crompton (two tries) and the mercurial Michael Wilson who matched his fellow winger with two tries of his own.
Further Bank charges saw their winger score under the posts which was converted, and their prop scored again.
Also, through rugged determination Gareth Roberts was not to be outdone, scoring two powerful tries through the middle, to take his personal league tally to 15.
Gareth Lewis closed Stags' low return account with two conversions and a final balance of 34-19 in their favour.