Southern League announce restart date for new season
- Credit: DANNY LOO
The curtailment of the current season still needs ratifying but the Southern League have already turned their attention to the new campaign.
They are hoping that all things being equal, that the new season will begin at the regular time.
The league said: "We have decided that the 2021-22 season will commence on Saturday, August 14 for all four divisions.
"The FA Cup extra preliminary round is scheduled to take place on Saturday August 7, with the preliminary round on August 21.
"The League Cup competition is scheduled to return after the start of the season."
That will be good news for the likes of Hitchin Town, Royston Town, St Ives Town, St Neots Town and Welwyn Garden City but the league have also decided that unlike some, they will not be running any late-season cup competition in April and May.
They said: "Once clubs are able to resume playing matches, then friendlies can be arranged, ensuring that all COVID-19 requirements are adhered to.
- 1 Stevenage's Banksy brings another community mural to town's underpasses
- 2 11-year-old arrested on suspicion of attempted robbery
- 3 Have you seen this wanted man with links to Stevenage?
- 4 Cyclist suffers bruises to face after being punched in assault
- 5 Persistent town centre beggar and thief sentenced
- 6 Major application submitted for 1,500 new homes on land west of Stevenage
- 7 Man jailed after threatening terrified neighbour with rape and arson
- 8 Will loss of free parking cause death of high street?
- 9 Former head boy founds charity in Greece to help refugees
- 10 Free parking in Letchworth town centre to welcome back shoppers
"If clubs wish to enter into any other cup competition, then this will require sanctioning by each relevant county FA."
Hitchin Town meanwhile have announced that season tickets bought for this season will be valid for the 2021-22 edition.
The Canaries said: "It’s the least we can do to show you how much we truly value your support during these past two very difficult seasons and how much we cannot wait to see you all back at Top Field as soon as is possible."
Those who would prefer a refund can do this also. Anyone wishing to do so should email firstname.lastname@example.org.