Slideshow: The Hitchin Sunday Football League round-up
The Hitchin Sunday Football League round-up Eventual winners PJ Hitchin and Baldock Engine produced a seven-goal thriller in the showpiece Challenge Cup final. PJ Hitchin, who ended the season just one point adrift of the champions in the Premier Division
The Hitchin Sunday Football League round-up
Eventual winners PJ Hitchin and Baldock Engine produced a seven-goal thriller in the showpiece Challenge Cup final.
PJ Hitchin, who ended the season just one point adrift of the champions in the Premier Division, started the game as favourites.
But Baldock Engine were certainly not there to just make up the numbers and were keen to add to the divisional cup they secured at the end of April.
It was Baldock Engine that delivered the first blow as Adam Shelley pounced to open the scoring, and they doubled their lead before half time as Anthony Beedell popped up to make it 2-0.
PJ battled back and made the game all square as Craig Skelton converted two penalties.
- 1 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with dazzling launch event
- 2 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 3 Serious collision on A602 injures four
- 4 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 5 Man charged with multiple burglaries after police chase
- 6 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 7 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 8 175-year-old primary school saved after months of uncertainty
- 9 Christmas Fayre and switch-on attracts hundreds
- 10 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
Neither side could find the winner in 90 minutes, so the game moved into extra time.
Dorian Small had an impressive game and put PJ ahead for the first time that evening before Skelton completed his hat-trick.
The referee had a busy evening and the bookings continued throughout extra time.
Thankfully all 22 players were still on the pitch when Kevin Smith popped up to set up a thrilling finale as he reduced the deficit to 4-3.
PJ withstood one final attack before the final whistle sounded to signal wild celebrations among their players and supporters alike.
Shillington capped a great season with a 5-0 victory against Jackmans Jackdaws, Ross Woodbridge (two), Adam Chambers, Kieron Dempsey and Dan Gruncell with the goals.
The full list of cup finals are below - the league would like to thank all those that competed and supported the league at these games.
Reserve Cup - Cannon Res 1 Kcinsatop Res 2.
Division Three Cup - Operation Swordfish 8 Three Tuns Galacticos 0.
Division Two Cup - Shillington 2 Offley Parish 1.
Division One Cup - Baldock Engine 3 Kcinsatop Res 2.
George John Memorial Trophy - Kcinsatop Res 1 Operation Swordfish 4.
Premier Division Cup - AEK Letchworth 0 Kcinsatop 4.
Subsidiary Cup - Whitwell 0 Crown Stotfold 2.
Challenge Cup - PJ Hitchin 4 Baldock Engine 3.