Slideshow: Graves poised to enter the Guinness Book of Records
Veteran sportswoman Anne Graves is poised to enter the Guinness Book of Records. This is for becoming the oldest female hockey player in the country. Anne was 73 years and seven months when she captained the fifth team of Stevenage Ladies against their Be
Veteran sportswoman Anne Graves is poised to enter the Guinness Book of Records.
This is for becoming the oldest female hockey player in the country.
Anne was 73 years and seven months when she captained the fifth team of Stevenage Ladies against their Bedford counterparts at Nobel School on Saturday lunchtime.
Ratification for her attempt is expected in around six to eight weeks.
You may also want to watch:
Anne said: "Thank you to Stevenage Hockey Club for promoting me and for all their hard work. It's such an honour for me and I hope it will bring prestige to the club.
"I can't believe I'm the oldest. I used to be a decent player but I wish I had a faster pair of legs now! I play to enjoy it and for the love of the game, not the glory side of things."
- 1 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
- 2 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 3 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 4 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 5 Bomb squad attends residential street in Letchworth
- 6 Proposed 5G mast labelled 'monstrosity' by objecting residents and councillors
- 7 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 8 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 9 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 10 Closure order for Hitchin bungalow following anti-social behaviour
Anne, whose son Paul plays for Blueharts and daughter-in-law Becky for Stevenage Ladies as well as two grandchildren for Lichfield, joined Stevenage way back in December 1951.
She continued: "I was the youngest in the team then but nowadays they are much younger.
"They are such a good bunch of girls in our team. It's nice that they accept me."
The current record for 'oldest hockey player (female)' is Renee Horam who played the entire 2006-07 season for the Crawley Ladies second XI in the Sussex Women's Hockey League, aged 72.
The result on Saturday did not go Stevenage's way though - they were beaten 5-0.