Shelley back to best form
Shelley McLellan continued her return towards full fitness with an excellent shot put performance at Cardiff Indoor Arena on Saturday. The Stevenage and North Herts athlete was representing Oxford City in the semi-finals of the Inter City Cup. The new UK
Shelley McLellan continued her return towards full fitness with an excellent shot put performance at Cardiff Indoor Arena on Saturday.
The Stevenage and North Herts athlete was representing Oxford City in the semi-finals of the Inter City Cup.
The new UK Athletics indoor promotion featured teams from around Cardiff, Bristol, Sheffield, Manchester, Oxford and Newcastle.
Her winning put of 12.45m was a new indoor personal best.
She looks to be setting a firm base ready for more success and hopefully a new outdoor personal best and club record beyond 13m.
Three of the club's young stars represented Hertfordshire in the regional sportshall event at Norwich.
- 1 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 2 A505 driver left with serious injuries after car leaves road near Hitchin
- 3 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 4 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 5 Hitchin to host Platinum Jubilee Carnival to honour Queen
- 6 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
- 7 Prince Charles and Camilla to star in special EastEnders Jubilee episode filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Range Rover stopped towing ‘insecure trailer’ on A1(M) in Stevenage
- 10 Michelin-star chef to kick off Sea Change campaign with tasty seafood samples
Bunmi Awokoya excelled herself by winning both the under-15 girls' shot put (10.31m) and the standing high jump (0.62m) and then was fifth in the four-lap race.
Connor Winter was third in the under-13 boys' high jump (1.35m) and Amber Claydon was fifth in the under-13 girls' shot put (7.57m).
The Herts teams that Bunmi and Connor were in won their competitions, so the pair will be going to the national finals in April at the National Indoor Arena in Birmingham.
* Two Stevenage and North Herts AC members have been selected for the 2006 Inter-Counties cross-country championships on March 11 in Nottingham.
Marcus McKechnie and Josh Saydraouten are part of the eight-strong under-17 men's team.