Sean's a swimming success
Sean McGeever from Shillington tasted success at his first major disability swimming event despite only being involved in the sport for little more than a year. The 12-year-old Flitwick Dolphins swimmer, who attends John Henry Newman School in Stevenage,
Sean McGeever from Shillington tasted success at his first major disability swimming event despite only being involved in the sport for little more than a year.
The 12-year-old Flitwick Dolphins swimmer, who attends John Henry Newman School in Stevenage, competed at the DSE/Nationwide Junior National Championships in Sheffield at the beginning of March as part of the Eastern Region team.
The event attracted more than 200 10 to 18-year-old disability swimmers from all over Great Britain, plus a team from Greece.
With World, European and British records broken at the competition, it shows the top quality GB has in disability swimming.
You may also want to watch:
Sean produced outstanding personal best times and medals, including one gold, in all four individual events he took part in. He also helped the team to a bronze medal in the 400m freestyle relay.
Sean had support from his Flitwick Dolphins team-mates Claire Warne (shown left) and Sam Tilbury, both of whom are on British Swimming World Class Programmes, a goal Sean is aiming for in the future.
- 1 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 2 Bomb squad attends residential street in Letchworth
- 3 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 4 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 5 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
- 6 App launched to promote shopping at local businesses
- 7 Proposed 5G mast labelled 'monstrosity' by objecting residents and councillors
- 8 Vandals 'jump on car' causing damage in Letchworth
- 9 Closure order for Hitchin bungalow following anti-social behaviour
- 10 Why grass in Stevenage and North Herts public areas isn't cut
Flitwick Dolphins assistant coach, Becky Gilbertson, herself an ex-GB international disability swimmer, accompanied the trio to Sheffield. She said: "I was delighted with the performances of the Flitwick swimmers in Sheffield. Claire and Sam continue to impress and Sean competed exceptionally well at his first national competition, and proved he is also one to watch in the future.