Runners get set to put their best foot forward: Yvonne Currah
AIMING to go the distance in the London Marathon for her four-legged friends is Yvonne Currah from Henlow. The proceeds from her fundraising effort will go to the Retired Greyhound Trust (RGT), the only national charity dedicated to finding homes for the
AIMING to go the distance in the London Marathon for her four-legged friends is Yvonne Currah from Henlow.
The proceeds from her fundraising effort will go to the Retired Greyhound Trust (RGT), the only national charity dedicated to finding homes for the dogs once their racing days are over.
"Greyhounds are such beautiful and loving dogs," said Yvonne.
"As soon as I decided to take on the challenge of the London Marathon I knew I wanted to run it for the RGT, to help support the dogs in its care before they find new homes.
"I hope that by getting out there on the day, wearing my greyhound shirt, I will encourage a few fellow dog lovers to think about adopting an ex-racer themselves."
Yvonne's love for greyhounds stems from her family's own experience.
- 1 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 2 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 3 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 4 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 5 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 6 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 7 Missing Letchworth woman found safe and well
- 8 Enter Shikari to play Club 85 gig in Hitchin as part of The National Lottery’s Revive Live Tour
- 9 James Bay announces intimate ‘New Songs New Stories’ solo tour for Independent Venue Week
- 10 Vegan market returns for final 2021 trade with festive twist
"When we were thinking of adopting a dog, a family friend recommended we consider a greyhound," she said.
"When we first visited kennel partners Cash and Sky a year ago we immediately fell in love with them. They were inseparable so we adopted them both. We wouldn't be without a greyhound now."
Yvonne's three children, Eleanor, 17, Madeline, seven, and Hazel, five, have been supporting Yvonne throughout her intensive training programme and are looking forward to seeing her achieve her goal and cross the finishing line.
If you would like to support Yvonne's marathon efforts, you can sponsor her by contacting the RGT on 0844 826 8424.
To find out more about adopting a retired greyhound log on to www.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk or contact Elaine Richards at Herts/Beds RGT on 01279 501899.