Runners get set to put their best foot forward: Yvonne Currah
AIMING to go the distance in the London Marathon for her four-legged friends is Yvonne Currah from Henlow. The proceeds from her fundraising effort will go to the Retired Greyhound Trust (RGT), the only national charity dedicated to finding homes for the
AIMING to go the distance in the London Marathon for her four-legged friends is Yvonne Currah from Henlow.
The proceeds from her fundraising effort will go to the Retired Greyhound Trust (RGT), the only national charity dedicated to finding homes for the dogs once their racing days are over.
"Greyhounds are such beautiful and loving dogs," said Yvonne.
"As soon as I decided to take on the challenge of the London Marathon I knew I wanted to run it for the RGT, to help support the dogs in its care before they find new homes.
You may also want to watch:
"I hope that by getting out there on the day, wearing my greyhound shirt, I will encourage a few fellow dog lovers to think about adopting an ex-racer themselves."
Yvonne's love for greyhounds stems from her family's own experience.
- 1 Major application submitted for 1,500 new homes on land west of Stevenage
- 2 Will loss of free parking cause death of high street?
- 3 Man left seriously injured after motorcycle crash
- 4 Venue loss forces lifeline community group to close
- 5 Bringing home the bacon: Martyn's joy at Radio 1 rasher fame
- 6 Baby boutique born in lockdown welcomes first customers
- 7 Arson attack causes thousands of pounds worth of damage to rural Herts pub
- 8 Decision for development off Letchworth country lane deferred
- 9 Plan to transform Baldock pub in to block of six flats is approved
- 10 Is the era of face-to-face GP appointments over in Hertfordshire?
"When we were thinking of adopting a dog, a family friend recommended we consider a greyhound," she said.
"When we first visited kennel partners Cash and Sky a year ago we immediately fell in love with them. They were inseparable so we adopted them both. We wouldn't be without a greyhound now."
Yvonne's three children, Eleanor, 17, Madeline, seven, and Hazel, five, have been supporting Yvonne throughout her intensive training programme and are looking forward to seeing her achieve her goal and cross the finishing line.
If you would like to support Yvonne's marathon efforts, you can sponsor her by contacting the RGT on 0844 826 8424.
To find out more about adopting a retired greyhound log on to www.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk or contact Elaine Richards at Herts/Beds RGT on 01279 501899.