Runners get set to put their best foot forward: Yvonne Currah
AIMING to go the distance in the London Marathon for her four-legged friends is Yvonne Currah from Henlow. The proceeds from her fundraising effort will go to the Retired Greyhound Trust (RGT), the only national charity dedicated to finding homes for the
AIMING to go the distance in the London Marathon for her four-legged friends is Yvonne Currah from Henlow.
The proceeds from her fundraising effort will go to the Retired Greyhound Trust (RGT), the only national charity dedicated to finding homes for the dogs once their racing days are over.
"Greyhounds are such beautiful and loving dogs," said Yvonne.
"As soon as I decided to take on the challenge of the London Marathon I knew I wanted to run it for the RGT, to help support the dogs in its care before they find new homes.
"I hope that by getting out there on the day, wearing my greyhound shirt, I will encourage a few fellow dog lovers to think about adopting an ex-racer themselves."
Yvonne's love for greyhounds stems from her family's own experience.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Stevenage supermarket may have double-charged customers
- 3 Plans for new Stevenage secondary school raise concerns
- 4 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 5 Cash stolen in Stevenage car break-ins
- 6 Audi driver in his 20s killed in crash with lorry on A507 near Shefford
- 7 Stevenage's Lister Hospital changes maternity visiting guidance
- 8 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 9 Faulty lift leaves disabled Stevenage residents forced to climb 12-storey block of flats for six weeks
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
"When we were thinking of adopting a dog, a family friend recommended we consider a greyhound," she said.
"When we first visited kennel partners Cash and Sky a year ago we immediately fell in love with them. They were inseparable so we adopted them both. We wouldn't be without a greyhound now."
Yvonne's three children, Eleanor, 17, Madeline, seven, and Hazel, five, have been supporting Yvonne throughout her intensive training programme and are looking forward to seeing her achieve her goal and cross the finishing line.
If you would like to support Yvonne's marathon efforts, you can sponsor her by contacting the RGT on 0844 826 8424.
To find out more about adopting a retired greyhound log on to www.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk or contact Elaine Richards at Herts/Beds RGT on 01279 501899.