Run in the sun
THE rain cleared and the Standalone 10 was blessed with fine weather on Sunday when 920 runners pounded the streets of Letchworth GC. It was a fantastic event and everything went perfectly, said race director Richard Harbon. When the race started the s
THE rain cleared and the Standalone 10 was blessed with fine weather on Sunday when 920 runners pounded the streets of Letchworth GC.
"It was a fantastic event and everything went perfectly," said race director Richard Harbon.
"When the race started the sun came out and for the next five hours it stayed dry.
"When the race finished and the trophies had been laid out we had to take them inside because it rained and it continued to rain for the rest of the day.
"This year's field of 920 was a record and we hope to make it 1,200 for next year's event. The whole organisation worked extremely well."
The race was won by Neilson Hall, who lives in Stotfold, running for Bedford AC in a time of 32:06. Second home was Stephen Harrison of FVS TRI in 32:57 with club colleague Simon Hall eighth in 35:07.
- 1 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 2 Steve Evans begins Stevenage revolution with three new signings
- 3 Rejoice! American landlady saves Charlton's historic Windmill pub
- 4 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 5 A505 driver left with serious injuries after car leaves road near Hitchin
- 6 Hitchin to host Platinum Jubilee Carnival to honour Queen
- 7 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 8 New opening date for Stevenage Geek Retreat
- 9 Thousands set to bring out the bunting for Jubilee thanks to grant funding
- 10 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
The next local competitor home was Pete Sibbett of North Herts Road Runners who was 12th in 35:15.
The first woman to finish was Lisa Elmore of Trent Park AC in 37:37. First local runner to complete the course was third placed Astrid McKeown of North Herts Road Runners in 37:56.
In the men's team event Garden City Runners were first with the FVS TRI A team of Stephen Harrison, Simon Hall, Gavin May and Steven Chalk second and North Herts Road Runners' A team of Pete Sibbett, Nick Beresford, Steve McKeown and Peter Kelland third.
In the ladies' team event, Garden City Runners were again winners with FVS TRI represented by Samantha Tophill, Jackie Perry, Leslie Dutton and Kate Turner third.