Thrilling second half comeback sees Letchworth defeat Stortford to book place in cup final

PUBLISHED: 11:32 16 March 2015 | UPDATED: 11:44 16 March 2015

Kyle Hughes

Kyle Hughes


Match report: Bishop’s Stortford 17 Letchworth 23

This was a repeat of last year’s Herts Presidents’ Cup final, and following a thrilling comeback in the second half Letchworth turned around a 17-8 scoreline to book their place in the final.

Perhaps the defining point of the game was when, trailing by nine points, they lost Kyle Hughes to a yellow card.

Over the next 10 minutes the Legends refused to let Stortford increase their lead, and once parity was restored holes began to appear for Letchworth to score two fine tries to secure the game.

There was a thrilling finale when, seeking a late score, Stortford could have grabbed a last-minute try only to be denied by some superb Letchworth defending.

The visitors scored an early penalty before a Stortford driving maul rumbled over with an added conversion making it 7-3.

Letchworth then opted to run a quick penalty which passed down the back line before Adam Amos got involved and drove the ball up field.

Harvey Howman spun the ball quickly to Jimmy Tirrell who burst through the middle before feeding Simon Hrbek for a superb try.

Stortford recaptured the lead with a fine penalty before Letchworth lost Oscar Robinson to a yellow card just before half-time.

Stortford took full advantage and scored a fine try in the corner which they also converted to make it 17-8 at the break.

The first part of the second half was no better for the Legends as Hughes also took 10 minutes on the naughty step.

However, Stortford also lost a man and gave away 10 yards to make Kieran Davies’ penalty task a lot easier and he duly obliged to make it 17-11.

Letchworth introduced 17-year-old scrum-half Charlie Parkhouse to the fray and it was not long before his influence was felt.

A quick penalty was taken by Parkhouse, and Tirrell, on his shoulder, burst through the home defence before putting on the afterburners for a fine try which was converted by Davies.

Another quick penalty from Parkhouse found Tirrell who this time fed Tattinda Gurrere to score in the corner to put Letchworth up 23-17.

Stortford threw everything at Letchworth but the visitors’ defence remained firm and as the referee blew the final whistle a loud cheer from the visiting supporters marked the fact that the club would be in the final for a second successive season.

This coming weekend the battle for third place in the league hots up as Chingford visit Legends Lane for what should prove to be a close and entertaining encounter.

There is a lunch beforehand, and all prospective diners should contact Pete Marsden on (01462) 835163.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Comet. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the The Comet