Legends leave it late to tie at Colchester

PUBLISHED: 15:03 11 January 2011




Ice man Robinson kicks to draw the match

Colchester 26 Letchworth Garden City 26

London 1 North

It was in the fifth minute of added time when Legends’ impressive No. 8 Dave Munson powered over the Colchester line to make it 26-24 with one kick to come.

There was total silence from what had been a large and vociferous crowd and a few of the travelling faithful even turned their heads away so great was the tension, but cometh the hour cometh the man as Letchworth’s Henry Robinson planted a fine kick that just crept over the bar.

Honours even – and a fair result as far as both sides were concerned.

For the Legends this was a pivotal match. After the enforced lay off it was vital that Richard Candlins’ men came out fighting for the second half of the season and this was certainly was a much improved performance by the North Herts side although there is still much room for improvement.

Indeed in the first half it seemed Letchworth would toil in vain as long periods of possession brought little reward.

Colchester on the other hand always seemed capable of creating something from nothing and when on one occasion Letchworth’s attack was foiled from quick turnover the ball was worked wide and impressive skipper James Mitchell crossed the line for a try converted by Withes.

After this Letchworth created most of the play with great interchanges and Dave Munson was the first to power over, with Robinson just missing the conversion.

Back came Colchester and despite spirited defence from Gary Glenncross in particular they scored a further try just on the verge of half time.

Unfortunately for Legends the breeze died down at half time and a further turnover saw Colchester seize the initiative and again run the ball wide for second row Ollie White to go over which Brambleys converted.

Letchworth came back strongly and Candlin introduced former Letchworth and England under-19 starlet Jimmy Tirrell. His entrance was electric as immediately the pace of the back line picked up and Tirrell took the ball from Joe Shaw to link with Robinson for a fine score under the posts.

A great break by Munson was just foiled with old warhorse Jaggi Johal joining the fray Letchworth were now rampant.

Robinson interchanged with Hett and went over to tie scores at 19-19. However Robinson then turned villain as his miscued kick opened up the game for Colchester and a long pass wide found flying winger Wiggins who carved through the Letchworth cover for his centre to score.

The conversion was added.

At 26-19 it looked over but Letchworth skipper Mahoney rallied his troops and they pounded the Colchester line and Munson gave it one last throw, spinning out of a tackle to cross the line for a fine try.

Robinson then duly obliged with a kick Letchworth hope will set the tone for the remainder of the season.

The IIs went down in a hard game against Old Albanians; however both IIIs and IVs had fine wins against Datchworth and Welwyn respectively.

There is a lunch before this weekend’s home game against Old Colfeians and all diners are asked to contact Brian Burke on 01462 422555 a.s.a.p.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Comet. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the The Comet