Royston Town 4–6 Biggleswade Town: Thriller sees Waders earn turnaround victory

Royston Town hosted Biggleswade Town at Garden Walk on Saturday.

Royston Town hosted Biggleswade Town at Garden Walk on Saturday. - Credit: Archant

Biggleswade Town came from behind three times to defeat play-off rivals Royston Town at Garden Walk on Saturday.

The Waders made it three wins in a row in the fiery game, with Royston - still without a win since October – taking a blow to their play-off hopes.

Biggleswade had the advantage from kick-off, playing down Garden Walk’s slope with a strong wind at their backs.

The Waders pressed hard but their counter attacks were loose, and it was the hosts who opened the scoring with their first attack of the game after 15 minutes.

Royston burst down the left, with Josh Castiglione turning Jack Bradshaw to setup Sam Corcoran to cross. The former St Albans City man’s ball was met by James Potton, who lost his marker and nodded in from close-range.

However, the Waders responded instantly, with Matt Ball’s set-piece creating panic in the Crows box. The ball bounced around before flicking up for Bradley Bell to nod in.

The game progressed into a fiery, intense battle. Bradshaw conceded a free-kick 25 yards from goal, and Potton stepped up.

Most Read

The man who netted the brilliant last-gasp, long-range winner against Banbury United in October – and who was expertly controlling the Crows’ attacking tempo - curled a brilliant effort over the wall and into the top corner for 2-1.

Their lead again didn’t last long, as Matt Ball swung in another of the corners which were causing Royston problems. Pushed towards the goal by the strong winds, the ball found David Longe-King at the back post, and the centre-back looped a header into far corner.

Biggleswade had Royston under near constant pressure after the goal. They won constant corners, but Joe Welch had begun to read Ball’s crosses, and caught most of them.

However, in the final five minutes the visitors switched off, and Royston seized their opportunity. Bola went close, before Castiglione found space to rifle into the top corner from outside the box after 44 minutes to make it 2-2.

The intensity of the first-half restarted immediately after the break. The Waders went forward at a relentless pace and turned the game around inside five minutes.

First, Soloman Nwabuokei was hacked down in the box, before Matt Ball slotted in the penalty for 4-3. Then Ball delivered yet another perfect corner, and Biggleswade’s very own Harry Maguire, Jordan Gent, rifled it past Welch.

Royston didn’t look like they had a reply in them, and possibly tired due to the relentless tempo. Biggleswade poured forwards and could have had more.

Daniel Brathwaite bundled a fourth Crows goal over the line late for what could have been a nervous ending for the Waders, but Joe White’s late penalty ensured a clear victory for the visitors.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter