Rokermen's first-half display is good enough
Stotfold 4 Sleaford 2 Stotfold slayed Sleaford after a bright first-half performance. Rob Beckwith almost opened the scoring on five minutes when his overhead kick was pushed away from the top corner by keeper Rick Drury. It was Paul Garrett who claimed t
Stotfold 4 Sleaford 2
Stotfold slayed Sleaford after a bright first-half performance.
Rob Beckwith almost opened the scoring on five minutes when his overhead kick was pushed away from the top corner by keeper Rick Drury.
It was Paul Garrett who claimed the first goal of the afternoon when his chipped cross from the left was tipped by Drury into his own net on 14 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors did not threaten Nigel Blower in the Stotfold goal, in for Brad Gillham who is resting after a cartilage operation, too much.
Good chances for Kane Dougherty and Nathan Moulton were not put away until Scott Rennie's ball into the box was flicked up in the air and Beckwith headed in on 38 minutes.
- 1 What can I do and what opens when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday, April 12?
- 2 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 3 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Complaints about Stevenage beauty store made to national fraud agency
- 5 Have you seen wanted Stevenage man?
- 6 'I'm not getting vaccinated yet, but don't call me an anti-vaxxer'
- 7 Lucky Hitchin man wins new Tesla and £30,000
- 8 Three household waste collection crews suspended
- 9 Abandoned elderly cats found inside taped up box in Stevenage
- 10 Electrical store reopening with competition to win free 50-inch TV
Shortly afterwards, Beckwith had another header cleared off the line and Blower was called into action, making a good stop from Peter Sutton's shot from a quick free-kick.
A minute before half time, Moulton slipped a ball forward for Dougherty to run through and slot the ball low past the visiting keeper.
Sleaford responded well at the start of the second half, getting a goal back on 50 minutes from Michael Stone's low shot through the box.
Moulton restored the three-goal advantage shortly afterwards, running into the box and heading in Garrett's corner on 56 minutes.
Poor communication between the referee and his assistant on a couple of important decisions in front of the Stotfold goal led to a bit of frustration for both sides.
Sleaford pulled another goal back through Kris Jones on 85 minutes with Blower making an outstanding parry from Stone's fierce strike two minutes from time.
Rokermen: Blower, Rennie (M Lee), P Donnelly, Shambrook, Hull, Bryant, Beckwith (Smith), Lochhead, Moulton, Dougherty (C Donnelly), Garrett.