Rokermen point way ahead
Two late goals earned Stotfold a point at home to Wootton. The Rokermen made a slow start in the local derby with Callum Donnelly having a couple of half chances. Wootton captain John Hoggett s low shot from a corner was well saved by Nigel Blower and the
Two late goals earned Stotfold a point at home to Wootton.
The Rokermen made a slow start in the local derby with Callum Donnelly having a couple of half chances.
Wootton captain John Hoggett's low shot from a corner was well saved by Nigel Blower and then Darek Jozwiak's header was cleared off the line.
Minutes later, Craig Daniel beat the offside trap on the left and shot to the far post past Blower and in off the upright.
You may also want to watch:
Daniel got his second 12 minutes later in almost a carbon copy, beating the offside again and this time slipping the ball under Blower as he rushed forward.
Stotfold's best chance of the half fell to Wes Byrne after Donnelly's free-kick from the left was touched forward by Bobby Dance for the striker to hit the bottom of the upright two minutes before the break.
- 1 Arrests made after assault leaves victim with lacerations to the head
- 2 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 Custodial sentence 'sends strong message' to those carrying knives
- 6 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 7 Hitchin Beer and Cider Festival in pictures
- 8 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage
- 9 Hospice volunteers mark Churchgate Day on the catwalk with vintage fashion show
- 10 You Me At Six to play headline show at Hatfield's Slam Dunk Festival site
The second half saw many more clear-cut opportunities for Stotfold with Tawhid Juneja and Dance both shooting over.
A cross from Donnelly on the right picked out an unmarked Louis Lee who with plenty of time fired the ball the wrong side of the top corner, and Byrne pounced on a poor touch from the last defender but shot straight at the keeper's chest.
The first Stotfold goal did not come until the 79th minute when Byrne cut the ball back to Dance just inside the box. With three players around him, he suddenly unleashed a powerful strike into the top corner to give goalkeeper Matt Jones no chance.
A last minute corner proved to be a point saver when Jamie Taylor knocked the ball back across goal towards the post for Byrne to atone for earlier misses and head in.
Rokermen: Blower, Nichol, D Drury, Hull, Juneja, Pomroy (Case), Lee, Taylor, Byrne, Dance, Donnelly (Philbin).