Rokermen in Deep trouble this week
Struggling Stotfold shipped double figures in a midweek rout at Deeping Rangers. With several more senior players unavailable to make the trip, the high-flying hosts Deeping forced Stotfold s heaviest defeat in recent times upon the youngest squad in th
Struggling Stotfold shipped double figures in a midweek rout at Deeping Rangers.
With several more 'senior' players unavailable to make the trip, the high-flying hosts Deeping forced Stotfold's heaviest defeat in recent times upon the youngest squad in the club's history.
After a couple of good chances for Callum Donnelly in the first 10 minutes went begging, the home team took the lead four minutes later through Mark Baines after Danny Matson's shot came off the crossbar.
Matson grabbed the next after linking up with Baines again four minutes later quickly followed by Baines' second a minute later.
A low shot after winning the ball on the right gave Matson his second on 24 minutes.
Three goals in four minutes followed before the break to make it seven - Matson with a lob, John Stead shooting home from the edge of the box, and Matson knocking in Stead's rebounded free-kick.
- 1 Man threatened woman with samurai sword before sex attack in Letchworth
- 2 A505 driver left with serious injuries after car leaves road near Hitchin
- 3 The Queen's Platinum Jubilee: How are our areas celebrating?
- 4 'Jobs will be lost' if Stevenage TK Maxx fails to relocate
- 5 Hitchin to host Platinum Jubilee Carnival to honour Queen
- 6 Police called to concern for welfare after 'youths' seen on Stevenage roof
- 7 Prince Charles and Camilla to star in special EastEnders Jubilee episode filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Range Rover stopped towing ‘insecure trailer’ on A1(M) in Stevenage
- 10 Michelin-star chef to kick off Sea Change campaign with tasty seafood samples
A couple of good stops from Clive Wetherall kept Rangers at bay for the start of the second half but only until the 50th minute when Tom Liberatore ran through before striking the ball into the top corner.
Matson headed in a cross from the left to the far post to make his total for the evening four on 58 minutes.
The last goal of the evening and to make it double figures fell for Stead as a cross from the left landed at his feet and he fired into the bottom corner eight minutes from time.
Rokermen: Wetherall, Smith (Beckwith), Philbin, R Mitchell, Taylor (Penny), Hull, Lee (Aldrin), Nichol, Moulton, Donnelly, Downham.