Riverain enjoy mixed fortunes
RIVERAIN bowler Matt Coppen bowed out in his second match in the national under-25s finals. He won the first game two sets to nil against Andrew Owens, but lost the next game 2-0 to Kevin Carrey. Riverain men blazed a trail once again in the area finals a
RIVERAIN bowler Matt Coppen bowed out in his second match in the national under-25s finals.
He won the first game two sets to nil against Andrew Owens, but lost the next game 2-0 to Kevin Carrey.
Riverain men blazed a trail once again in the area finals at Cheshunt and Hatfield bowls clubs.
The rink of Mick Allen, Martin Brackley, Darren Hickin and skip Tony Webb beat a rink from Watford by 15 shots (24-9).
The pair of Allen and skip Webb beat a pair from Bedford Borough.
And in the singles, Webb beat Russell Thompson from Lawson Park 21-14.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 3 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 4 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 5 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 6 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 7 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 8 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 9 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 10 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
This is the second successive year that Webb and his men have reached the nationals finals at Nottingham in April.
Riverain ladies gained four points out of six in their county league match against Watford.
The teams were Joan Welch, Barbara Turner, Muriel Saunders and skip Gill Calver, together with June Clay, Barbara Clark, Aileen Weaver and skip Shirley Hughes, and Riverain won by 15 shots (47-32).
Riverain won by 38 shots (141-103) in a midweek friendly against Lawson Park.
Skips names only: Pat Smith won 26-20, Les Parsley won 27-16, Dave Webb won 30-14, Brian Mills won 23-10, Charlie Brown lost 21-22, Jim Baird lost 14-21.
But they lost by 22 shots (161-183) to Falcon in a weekend friendly.
Skips names only: Jack Gluckstein lost 10-35, Mick Judd won 23-15, Brian Mills lost 17-19, Dave Webb lost 7-27, Steve Chamberlain won 23-18, Kathy Maxwell won 42-11, Dave Betts lost 21-22, Jeff Smith lost 18-36.
And they were well beaten by 65 shots (75-140) by the English Fire Service.
Skips names only: Doug Major lost 11-20, Brian Mills lost 13-29, Paul Bryant lost 17-26, Derek Clark lost 13-29, Steve Chamberlain lost 20-27.
* Herts IBA won by 12 shots (125-113) against the Eastern Counties IBA at Riverain IBC on Tuesday.
Riverain's Derek Ellis was part of the top winning rink (30-12).
Brian Pike (Stevenage Senior Citizens) was awarded his colts badge for making his county debut.
The county kept their Courtenay Cup league hopes alive by beating Northants.
They won by 16 shots (121-105) at Cheshunt IBC last Thursday.