Riverain dig deep
RIVERAIN Bowls Club were seventh overall in the JCB Top Ten Trophy at Folkestone IBC over the Easter weekend. Fourteen teams took part in this tournament, comprising singles, pairs, triples and fours. Tony Webb came second in the singles, winning five of
RIVERAIN Bowls Club were seventh overall in the JCB Top Ten Trophy at Folkestone IBC over the Easter weekend.
Fourteen teams took part in this tournament, comprising singles, pairs, triples and fours.
Tony Webb came second in the singles, winning five of his six matches and with a positive shot difference of an impressive 43.
In the pairs, Alan Cross, Alan Warren and extra person used Terry Godden came 10th, winning two of their six matches.
Jack Cawdell, Tom Cawdell and Jim Allen were ninth in the triples, winning half of their six matches.
In the fours, Mick Allen, Bob Ashby, Mick O'flanagan, Darren Hickin and extra person used Terry Saunders came 10th, winning two of their six matches.
- 1 Plans to demolish riding stables to make way for housing
- 2 Stevenage woman arrested following 'dangerous driving and assault'
- 3 Former pub owner admits to food hygiene offences
- 4 Plans to demolish two houses and build 20 flats in their place
- 5 Driver hospitalised with ‘serious injuries’ following crash in Hitchin
- 6 Parents' anger as possible school redundancies loom amid academy transition
- 7 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 8 Vauxhall flips onto roof in crash with Mercedes in Letchworth
- 9 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 10 Man in his 80s seriously injured after Honda crash in Stevenage
Riverain won by 13 shots (124-111) in their midweek friendly against Cheshunt.
Skips names only: Mina Reid won 27-12, Mike Mahoney lost 18-20, Tom Power drew 22-22, Roger Shinner lost 16-26, Sam Skinner won 18-17, Mike Hammond won 23-14.
Riverain had mixed fortunes in weekend friendlies against North West Essex Bowling Association and Stewartby.
They lost by 18 shots (101-119) against the North West Essex Bowling Association.
Skips names only: Steve Chamberlain lost 17-20, Doug Major won 27-13, Colin Smith lost 13-19, Roger Shinner lost 15-23, Sam Skinner lost 13-23, David Webb lost 16-21.
But they managed to beat Stewartby by 51 shots (141-90) in another match.
Skips names only: Paul Bryant won 22-16, Brian Mills won 40-8, Doug Major won 17-15, Pat Clark won 28-12, Gordon Papworth lost 15-22, Joan Papworth won 19-17.
* Stevenage Leisure Centre IBC were winners against Royston.
They won on four of the six rinks and overall by 19 shots (128-109). Their highest rink was that of Sue Cole, Aidan Heritage, Phoebe Erne and Colin Cole (skip).
* Herts IBA toured Nottinghamshire as the season drew to an end over the weekend.
Results: Herts 170 Rushcliffe IBC 180; Herts 104 Notts CIBA 148; Herts bt Erewash IBC; Herts 149 Warwickshire county side 156.