Riverain clean up in cup competitions
Cup fever has gripped the indoor bowlers from Riverain in the last week. In the first round of the Yetton Trophy, Riverain won by a crushing 66 shots (116-50) against Harpenden. The home team of Brenda Hollands, Pat Goodwin, Yvonne Hull and skip Angie Fab
Cup fever has gripped the indoor bowlers from Riverain in the last week.
In the first round of the Yetton Trophy, Riverain won by a crushing 66 shots (116-50) against Harpenden.
The home team of Brenda Hollands, Pat Goodwin, Yvonne Hull and skip Angie Fabris, together with Linda O'Flanagan, Shay Mumford, Noreen Gazeley and skip Gill Walker, won by 26 shots (52-26).
The away team of June Clay, Muriel Saunders, Michelle Barlow and skip Shirley Page, together with Joan Welch, Gill Calver, Jenny Ralph, and skip Louise Thomas, won by 40 shots (64-24).
You may also want to watch:
The rink of Matt Coppen, Jim Allen, Darren Hickin and skip Tony Webb beat a rink from Oxford City and County 23-12 in the Southern Counties single rink.
Riverain enjoyed an emphatic win over Hatfield in the Denny Cup by 76 shots (118-42).
- 1 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
- 2 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 3 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 4 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 5 Proposed 5G mast labelled 'monstrosity' by objecting residents and councillors
- 6 Bomb squad attends residential street in Letchworth
- 7 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 8 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 9 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 10 Closure order for Hitchin bungalow following anti-social behaviour
The home team of Derek Ellis, Mick Cave, Jimmy McIntyre, and skip Mick O'Flanagan, together with Terry Holmes, Laurie Ramsay, Darren Hickin and skip Matt Coppen, won 59-28. The away team of Mick Allen, Jack Cawdell, Roger Manning and skip Jim Allen, together with Terry Godden, Raymond Smith, Tom Cawdell and skip Tony Webb, won 59-14.
And there was a similarly overwhelming success for the club in the first round of the Egham Trophy against Herga, winning by 52 shots (103-51).
The home team of Jenny Ralph, Keith Young, Louise Thomas and skip Jimmy McIntyre, together with Muriel Saunders, Terry Godden, Michelle Barlow and skip Darren Hickin, won 53-26.
The away team of Linda O'Flanagan, Gill Walker, Matt Coppen and skip Mick O'Flanagan, together with Mick Allen, Sharon Allen, Shirley Page and skip Jim Allen, won 50-25.
And two more victories followed in weekend friendlies against Southall and District, and Royston.
Riverain beat Southall and District by 46 shots (173-127) and their highest winning rink was skipped by Bob Wells.
Scores (skips names only): T Rolph won 17-12; Mina Reid won 20-15; Brian Mills won 25-17; Doug Major won 20-16; Sam Skinner drew 15-15; Kathy Maxwell lost 16-21; Mick Judd won 28-14; Bob Wells won 32-17.
Riverain also beat Royston by 46 shots (147-101) and their highest winning rink was skipped by Joan Papworth.
Scores (skips names only): Derek Clark lost 17-22; Pat Clark won 26-20; Barbara Clark won 26-19; Charlie Brown won 25-13; Joan Papworth won 28-13; Mike Hammond won 25-14.
* Stevenage Leisure Centre IBC played their first away fixture of the season against Hatfield on Sunday. They won on one rink (Audrey Taylor, Nita Harper, Les Carr and skip Dave Wright) but lost on the other three, losing overall by 22 shots.