Riverain beaten by their old rivals
RIVERAIN Bowls Club were dumped out of the Yetton Trophy by old foes Desborough Maidenhead. Their opponents won by 35 shots (64-99) in the zone final. The home teams of Muriel Saunders, Aileen Weaver, Noreen Gazely and skip Gill Walker, together with Ann
RIVERAIN Bowls Club were dumped out of the Yetton Trophy by old foes Desborough Maidenhead.
Their opponents won by 35 shots (64-99) in the zone final.
The home teams of Muriel Saunders, Aileen Weaver, Noreen Gazely and skip Gill Walker, together with Ann Fuller, Shirley Hughes, Yvonne Hull and skip Angie Fabris, lost by 11 shots (36-47).
The away teams of Joan Welch, Barbara Billingham, Gill Calver, and skip Jenny Ralph, together with Linda O'Flanagan, Anne Graves, Pat Goodwin and skip Shirley Page, lost by 24 shots (28-52).
You may also want to watch:
In the men's zone final, Mick Allen beat Ron Ayres from Watford in the over-60s singles 21-16.
Matt Coppen beat Tom Muir in the under-25s singles by two straight sets - 12-2 and 13-2.
- 1 Our town in pictures: A journey through Stevenage's past and present
- 2 Famous faces: A look at Stevenage's most notable people
- 3 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 4 Stevenage through and through - nine generations of family see town transformed
- 5 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 6 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 7 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 8 From Silkin's vision to regeneration: How our town has evolved through the years
- 9 Floats, fun and fancy dress: Do you remember Stevenage Carnival?
- 10 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
This takes both players through to the area finals at Cheshunt Bowls Club on February 3.
Riverain ladies are through to the area finals at Oxford and City on January 27 for the fours and February 3 at Watford Bowls Club for the pairs.
Joan Welch, Shirley Hughes, Yvonne Hull and skip Louis Thomas beat a team from Herts Watford, skipped by Avril Harland, 25-13 in the zone finals.
Heather Stapleford and skip Shirley Page beat Harpenden pair Jenny Redford and skip Lucy Ratcliffe 25-13 as well.
Riverain won by 25 shots (163-138) in a weekend friendly against Cambridge and County.
Skips names only: Roger Shinner won 25-15, John Gee lost 14-20, Mick Hyde won 24-13, Doug Major drew 15-15, Barbara Clark won 27-14, Sam Skinner lost 15-21, Ivan Izzard lost 19-27, Peter Barritt won 24-13.
Riverain beat the Francis Drake Fellowship by 27 shots (159-132).
Skips names only: Sam Skinner won 21-13, Brian Mills lost 17-18, Mick Judd lost 11-22, Paul Bryant won 25-15, Les Parsley won 22-14, Don Edwards lost 17-19, Anne Graves won 22-18, Joan Papworth won 24-13.
The game raised £236 for the Francis Drake Fellowship.
* Stevenage Leisure Centre IBC lost at St Neots by 31 shots (107-138)
They won on only two and lost on four of the six rinks.
Their highest rink was that of Ann Graham, Ben O'Sullivan, Ted Stacey and Brian Gilbert (skip).
* Two Riverain bowlers helped Herts IBA win by 41 shots (129-88) against Hampshire at Watford IBC last Thursday.
The rink of Tony Rolph and Ray Smith won 24-10.