Rising star in the u25 national finals
Matt Coppen from Riverain Bowls Club has reached the national finals of the under-25s competition. He beat Michael Cole from Watford in two straight sets (17 shots to five, and 14 shots to one) in the men s area finals at Cheshunt Bowls Club. The national
Matt Coppen from Riverain Bowls Club has reached the national finals of the under-25s competition.
He beat Michael Cole from Watford in two straight sets (17 shots to five, and 14 shots to one) in the men's area finals at Cheshunt Bowls Club.
The national finals will be held at Loddon Vale Bowls Club.
Mick Allen was beaten in the over-60 singles by George Pethybridge from Luton in a close-fought game, losing by just one shot (20-21).
You may also want to watch:
Heather Stapleford and Shirley Page lost in the ladies' area finals at Watford to the Desborough Maidenhead pair of Debbie Stavro and Katrina Jones by eight shots (10-18).
The Riverain ladies gained a full six points in their county league match against Herts Watford.
- 1 Why grass in Stevenage and North Herts public areas isn't cut
- 2 Closure order for Hitchin bungalow following anti-social behaviour
- 3 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 4 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 5 'Music legends' Aswad impress at LGC Live event in town centre
- 6 Two people taken to hospital with serious injuries after Clothall Road crash
- 7 New mental health unit earmarked for Stevenage
- 8 Some bus services set to change to 'build on great network'
- 9 Officers investigating vehicle interferences urge victims to come forward
- 10 A family affair and club history make it a special day for Letchworth
The teams of Val Bacon, Barbara Turner, Jean Hayward and skip Veronica Mead, together with Joan Welch, Joyce Rolph, June Clay and skip Shirley Hughes, won by 18 shots (45-27).
Riverain lost by 44 shots (92-136) in a midweek friendly against Barking.
Skips names only: Sam Skinner won 26-20, Mike Hammod lost 13-26, Roger Shinner lost 15-30, Mick Judd lost 16-26, Joyce Coxall lost 22-34.
Riverain won one and lost one of their weekend friendlies, beating BA Concorde but losing to Whitethorn.
They beat BA Concorde by 60 shots (179-119).
Skips names only: Mike Hammond won 28-10, Steve Chamberlain lost 17-19, Kathy Maxwell lost 15-17, Jack Glukstein won 34-8, Gill Walker won 26-16, Dave Betts won 20-13, Yvonne Hull won 21-16, Bob Wells lost 18-20.
But they went down by 11 shots (148-159) to local rivals Whitethorn.
Skips names only: Ruby Avery 12 Terry Saunders 21, Derek Clark 14 Dave Marr 20, Jackie Milton 24 Ron Chapman 28, Brian Mills 16 Jenny Ralph 17, Sam Skinner 33 Mick Gowlett 14, P Bryant 22 Ted Fuller 14, Tom Power 12 Angie Fabris 24, Pat Clark 15 Don Edwards 21.
* Stevenage Leisure Centre IBC played one of their annual competitions - the annual triples match for the Bill Mumford Memorial Trophy.
The match was played in a gala format, with the team of Betty Barnett, Joyce Williams and (skip) Mary Mothersill emerging as eventual winners.
* Stevenage Nomads won 87-84 against Luton on Sunday.
Their top winning rink (27-17) was Avril Straw, Joan Hazell, Jean Roffery and Alan Budge.
* Herts IBA played three times in the last week.
Tony Ralph (Riverain) was part of their top winning rink as Herts lost by two shots (76-74) to Harpenden on Sunday.
Herts won by 10 shots (162-152) against Cambs at St Neots and District IBC last Thursday.
And they won by 47 shots (158-111) against the Home Counties IBA at the Herts club, Watford, last Wednesday.