Rich pickings for Spartan
Fairlands Valley Spartans Richard Bate won the Hertfordshire County Championship for senior men in a hot and hilly 10k at St Albans on Sunday. His time was 38:02 and he was eighth overall out of 443 finishers in the race. Dennis Cannon was second Vet 60
Fairlands Valley Spartans' Richard Bate won the Hertfordshire County Championship for senior men in a hot and hilly 10k at St Albans on Sunday.
His time was 38:02 and he was eighth overall out of 443 finishers in the race. Dennis Cannon was second Vet 60 in 53:22.
Times: Richard Bate 38:02, Duncan Choosey 40:27, Ben Harris 40:55, Jim Brown 43:03, Sara O'Callaghan 49:06, Paul Holgate 51:54, Dennis Cannon 53:22, Sharon Crowley 57:14, Alan Goodwin 64:01.
The Spartan men's team of Richard Bate, Duncan Choosey, Ben Harris and Jim Brown was fourth overall.
Roger Biggs was involved as the 100 Marathon Club joined up with some Irish runners to run a marathon in each of the six counties of Northern Ireland in six days!
He raced for three days, and then took it a bit easier as fatigue set in.
- 1 Stevenage Major Works: Leaseholders sent final bills
- 2 North Herts deputy council leader Paul Clark passes away from COVID-19
- 3 175-year-old primary school saved after months of uncertainty
- 4 Trust calls out council for causing 'uncertainty and chaos' by disrupting two-tier conversion
- 5 Prince Philip death joke tweets sparks probe as councillor leaves party
- 6 Downing Street: Our MPs' responses to alleged illegal Christmas party
- 7 Man charged with multiple burglaries after police chase
- 8 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with dazzling launch event
- 9 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 10 Turkeys for sale on Facebook ruffles feathers
Times: 3-31:52 Belfast Marathon (County Antrim); 3-41:55 Downpatrick Marathon (County Down); 3-58:09 Armagh Marathon (County Armagh); 5-09:36 Enniskillen Marathon (County Fermanagh); 4-36:19 Omagh Marathon (County Tyrone); 4-30:27 Limavady Marathon (County Londonderry).
Amanda Brook tamed the course, the heat and the competition with an outstanding 3-53:05 at Halstead. She was 10th lady to finish and 133rd overall.
Trailing in her wake were Rob Shaw 4-18:09 (221st); Gerry McCabe 4-27:42 (242nd); Mark Glading 4-45:45 (306th); and Dave Farthing 5-18:15 (382nd).
Four Spartans made the trip to Silverstone last Tuesday for the 25th anniversary of their 10k event. Jim Brown finished 169th of the 977 finishers in 41:20.
New recruit Sarah Fookes completed her first ever race and first ever attempt at the 10k distance in 49:21 (524th), with Paul Holgate 537th in 49:35. Simon Harris took 2:36 off his 2007 time to finish 949th in 65:29.
Bev Aitken beat her 10k personal best by three and a half minutes when she ran the Langtoft 10k near Peterborough in 53:32.
The Marlow Five mile race was run on a lovely course with a terrific view of the Thames. There were 1,583 finishers.
Times: Sue Leigh 44:12 (789th) pb, Chris Leigh 329th in 38:25, Katrina Doyle 1,123rd in 50:25 (1,123).
David Bowker ran in the Herts county senior men's track 5000m on Sunday. He was third in 18:11.
Two Spartans - Simon Harris and Bowker - are competing in the Eastern Region of the Athletics Championships for Disabled People this Saturday.
This is being held at Wilberforce Road Sports Ground, Cambridge University. The events start at 10am and are expected to be completed by 5pm.
* Linda Aird was the only North Herts Road Runners member in action ahead of the midweek league series of races.
She produced an excellent run to complete the Silverstone 10k last Tuesday in a time of 51:07 and improve her personal best by just under a minute.
* Mike Bridge from FVS TRI won the Potters Bar based Furzefield Triathlon in a time of 1-01:01 for the 400m pool swim, 20k bike and 5k run.
Jeremy Lintott opened his season with 18th overall in a time of 1-11:49.
Mike had raced the previous week in the New Forest Triathlon finishing ninth overall in the first open water event of the season in a time of 1-51:21 for the 1.1k swim, 36k bike and 10k run.
Paula Adams also competed in the New Forest finishing sixth in the 35-39 age group in a time of 2-24:19.
Mark Robertson continued to show improvement with a fifth overall in the St Albans 10k in a time of 36:54.
Mike Russell was second home for FVS TRI in a time of 41:05. Vicki-Marie Goulding completed her first 10k in a time of 58:52.
Charlie Harris was eighth overall in 1-06:26 for the first in the Bedford Sprint Triathlon Series.